Hi there –
Well now the BCM43362 is the choice of the future maybe it’s time to invesigate it a little
Does anyone have recommendations for a BCM43362 development board?
The usual things one wants of a dev board are:
- doesn’t require some madly overpriced programmer.
- doesn’t require a $10K-per-seat commercial IDE.
- doesn’t layer stuff between you and what you’re trying to get familiar with, e.g. non-standard libs etc.
Looking at Broadcom’s pages I guess I’m looking for a board that supports their WICED SDK:
So a quick bit of searching and I found some candidates:
- Broadcom’s own evaluation board.
- ACKme networks’ wifi development tools range.
- Inventek Systems’ evaluation board.
- the Ayla Design Kit.
- SwitchScience’s Murata Type YD breakout.
ACKme produce various boards but only the Seabass (the most expensive) seems appropriate for use with the latest 3.1.1 Broadcom SDK. The cheaper ones like the Mackerel seem to stick ACKme’s own WiConnect environment between you and the BCM943362.
Similarly I don’t think SwitchScience’s breakout can be used with the WICED SDK.
Hmm… now if try ordering them I quickly find:
- the SwitchScience board isn’t available outside Japan.
- the Inventek board won’t ship outside the US.
- the ACKme boards don’t seem to be actually available and similarly won’t ship outside the US anyway.
- the Ayla Design Kit won’t ship outside the US either.
Maybe this is to do with regulatory approval?
So as I live in Switzerland I’m left with only one choice that’s definitely for sale here - Broadcom’s own board.
I guess that makes things simple! Does anyone have any experience with this, or like to comment?
Are there other interesting development boards that I’ve missed?
Look forward to digging into this
Usually I’d worry that a company mightn’t take kindly to you delving into pieces of their product before its launch - but Spark seem very cool about this.
I remember them reacting enthusiastically when @BDub soldered up two Sparks in mid '13, months before the production ones shipped
Look forward to hearing your input/advise/suggestions.