Azure IoT central

I just signed up with azure to trial some of the IoT hub functions and I see they’ve deployed IoT central. This looks like what I really want to use and as I understand it, uses the same shared access policy mechanism for auto provisioning devices, so my question is, is there a way to use the IoT hub integration built into the particle cloud to provision and direct function output to IoT Central? Does anybody have any information on this?

Hi Dustin,

I would look at this integration, in case you haven’t already!
It will autoprovision your devices.

https://docs.particle.io/tutorials/integrations/azure-iot-hub/

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I wasn’t as detailed as I should’ve been in the question. I am currently trying out the iot device hub integration for azure and it works to send telemetry data to the iot hub. However, Azure IoT device central is a newer azure service that is based on the same Shared Access policy for provisioning devices which is super cool. While there should be an automated way to “adopt” devices from IoT Hub into IoT central, there simply doesn’t seem to be. So given that they both use a similar Shared Access Policy for device connectivity, I thought there might be a workaround to provision the devices straight to the IoT device central platform instead of the IoT Hub. There are just a couple of required variables missing for the particle integration, like, obviously, there is no IoT Hub name and the policy name is absent as well.

1 Like

Due to the way IoT Central is designed it has some limitations. I played with it back when it was first released and there was no way to access the IoT Hub service being used. Azure evolves on a regular basis, so this could have changed. Without access to the IoT Hub you will not be able to generate a shared access policy and will not be able to use the Particle->Azure integration.

Ah OK. Thank you for the information, saved me some wasted time. I don’t think the interface in IoT Central is what I’m looking for after all anyway. I’m trying Appery out now for backend and front end so we’ll see.