Why would I pick LTE over 2G/3G Boron?

I purchased both the 2G/3G and LTE Boron but as I look at the coverage, what is the benefit of having the LTE version? I am seeing less coverage and a potential for higher speed. Since these aren’t generally sending a lot of data, why would I go with the LTE version?

Thanks!

One factor is lower power consumption and another is better penetration (I think)

2 Likes

It’s not full LTE, like you use in your mobile phone. It’s LTE Cat M1, the IoT subset of LTE, and isn’t really faster.

In the United States, the Boron LTE uses AT&T (only). The Boron 2G/3G uses T-Mobile (only). The Electron and E series can use either.

However, AT&T is ending 3G service at the end of 2019, T-Mobile will be the only option for 3G after 2019.

Plus, as ScruffR pointed out, LTE uses way less power. And the Boron LTE device is less expensive.

5 Likes

Awesome explanation. Thank you!

If I am buying a Boron to use in Europe what should I be buying? I assume LTE = 4G.

At this time, we still recommend the Boron 2G/3G for Europe. The reasons are:

• The rollout of LTE Cat M1 is not going as fast there
  • Some are planning on using LTE Cat NB1 instead
  • We don’t currently have a way to provide LTE Cat M1/NB1 via the Particle SIM in Europe, so a 3rd-party SIM will be necessary for now.
  • Many European countries are planning on keeping their 2G networks alive for extended periods of time.