Why is v0.8.0-rc.25-mesh a tag but not a branch?

I see that all of the releases of Device OS each have their own branch, which is much more convenient than just a tag. Why is it that v0.8.0-rc.25-mesh has a tag but no branch?

ping @rickkas7

A good question. I think it’s because during the rapid development of mesh, the releases were made by tagging a point in time in mesh-develop instead of creating a branch for a release.

I presume at some point we’ll go back to the way it used to be.

1 Like

Hi Nathan, from what I know about git, you can always create a branch from a tag at any point in time.
Usually (at least at the place I work) we create branches only when we need to fix/change something from that tag.
I guess I'm missing what is much more convenient in your case, want to elaborate on what sense so I learn a bit on your use case?
Thanks,
Gustavo.

I’ve been working on adding Mesh support to po-util.

When a user selects which release of the firmware they wish to use they enter the name of the branch, like release/v0.8.0-rc.7. This worked because every release had a branch.

If Particle is not going to remain consistent by having a branch made for each release I guess I will have to let users enter which tag they want to use. It’s not a big deal, but I wish Particle would continue to make branches for each release.

1 Like

oh I get it now, thanks for the explanation. Unsure about this, but maybe you can create a branch and do a push request?

I think I'll just transition to tags for now.