Hi, I have ordered one Spark Core in order to evaluate what is it good for.
Currently I have implemented (in one week):
- Blink RGB LED when Jenkins continous integration starts building some software project (eg. jUnit tests). Set color to green, yellow, red depending on build result and number of tests failed.
- Control Syma S107 helicopter using IR LED (with BC548B transistor for better IR range). Control via usb serial commands. Control via DirectX/DirectInput game devices via UDP datagram socket.
- Write simple text on 1.8’’ OLED COLOR (Digole). Drawing bw or color image was not successful due to low memory on Spark Core
The three things above are nice DIY home toys. Can Spark Core do some more serious tasks like streaming 160x120 256 color pixels over SPI to OLED? Can it upload pictures from serial camera (UART) to web (realtime/almost realtime) ? What realtime jobs is Spark Core suitable for? I thought Spark Core will be a small MCU with wifi capability (like Arduino with Wifi shield) plus it will be battery powered and small and I can build a quadcopter with GPS+realtime camera+joystick control.
What I hate on Spark so far:
- Need to be connected to cloud 24/7 (I want just UDP communication with my laptop).
- Low memory size for the code. (Is it possible to upload the code to CC3000 EEPROM?)
WHAT IS YOUR VISION ON SPARK CORE USAGE AND USE CASE SCENARIOS IN THE FUTURE?
Can Spark Core be used to build something like this or should I look for something else? http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Crazyflie-Nano-Quadcopter-Kit-10DOF-BCCFK04A-p-1527.html