What does xenon fast flashing green mean?

For what I’m describing, patience isn’t working any more. In the screen cap, I have 2 places (circled in blue) where I reset the endpoint to get it back to breathing cyan. After a few minutes it drops to fast blinking green again. On this latest drop, it has been down for almost 2 hours:

I have Xenons freezing up with just a solid blue D7 led illuminated.

This is running your simple node code.

A manual reset will be required to get it going again.

Which indicates an OS lockup or that the loop() isn’t being processed. But the endpoint code is so simple. I don’t see how that’s happening. If anything should be locking up, it’s the gateway… which I though I might have too much processing going on in the subscribe callback function.

Here’s hoping for an RC26 release sooner than later!

1 Like

It appears from the picture that the status LED isn’t be serviced either, no breathing, flashing, nothing. That means the RTOS isn’t running anymore either. haven’t had that happen yet.

Yea, it’s completely frozen. Video showing this below.

2 Likes

I now have xenons breathing cyan indefinitely.
We have a few threads going on this - not sure what to do about that, but...

In another thread it was suggested that my (and other) routers might still be the issue so I found another one and put it in between and it works:

1 Like

That sequence of lights on a photon would lead me to believe there is a keys issue. Alas this is something completely different.

I’m not too concerned at this stage of the game, it is a new baby after all and like with all babies it will get better with age.

2 Likes

I too had the total lockup yesterday but on my argon gateway (running Marco from Marco Polo)

Resetting and it has been running longer since so it isn’t just time that kills it.

1 Like

So last night I was setting up another mesh network with an Argon gateway and a single Xenon endpoint. I completed the setup and left both devices with the default tinker firmware. This new net was sitting right next to an existing Argon on my original mesh network. All was well before I went to bed (all devices breathing cyan). When I awoke this morning, all devices in the house were blinking fast green. Both on the new mesh and the original mesh. I powered down the 2 new devices and brought them to my office for further testing. The original mesh has not yet recovered and is still blinking fast green.

On a brighter note, the mesh at my office was stable all night and is still beating away. The devices are now all on the same floor/level but I’m slowly moving the endpoints to adjacent offices farther and farther away from the gateway (as long as my colleagues provide me a vacant USB port for power.) I think I’ll start another thread for “Mesh Distance/Range Testing.”

Getting home last night my Xenon with the heartbeat was locked up breathing cyan, the heartbeat light was stuck off. I made the changes @peekay123 suggested and reflashed the new code. All was well for about 3 hours when my Argon suddenly started flashing green followed by the 3 Xenons. The flashing green went on for 2 hours until I finally reset the Argon. Interestingly the heartbeat across the mesh continued normally, I guess indicating that cloud connection was gone but the mesh was healthy. Finally reset the Argon and everything was breathing cyan again.

Until this morning, everyone is breathing cyan but the heartbeat is gone. The heartbeat Xenon is breathing cyan but the application has stopped running with the blue LED stuck on. The heartbeat Xenon ran for 11hrs and 38 minutes before locking up. During that time 14889 heartbeats were generated and 40063 made it across the mesh for a loss of 1826 heartbeats. Setup is still the same as before.

I’ll get rid of the tinker portion of the code tonight and just flash the heartbeat code and see how that goes.

@peekay123, if I just want this to be a mesh only test should I set all devices to SYSTEM_MODE(MANUAL) and then manually connect the mesh or is the mesh still automatic I didn’t see anything in the documentation regarding system modes and mesh connectivity.

Also I’m not sure if the “Assisting Device” is only to add Xenons to the mesh or if it’s critical to the mesh itself. By that I mean if I turn off the Argon I used for the “Assisting Device” will the rest of the mesh fall apart? I realize cloud connectivity disappears if the Argon disappears but for my use case at the moment I don’t need cloud except for OTA flashing.

1 Like

From experience not documentation, the “assisting device” is only used for information during setup. If you turn off argon the mesh stays alive.

1 Like

@RWB Did you resolve your fast flashing green? By using a different router? If so, which worked and which didn’t?

Nothing has been resolved on my end.

The assisting device needs to be connected to a working gateway during the registration process. It is called “assisting” since that device provides that connection. BTW, the assisting device can also be the gateway device as well.

Right, the assisting device can be any device already on the mesh network.
So the first device, to create the mesh is your gateway and it has no assisting device.
The second device (say a xenon), has to use the gateway as the assisting device because it’s the first and only member of the mesh network.
After that, any device already on the mesh should be able to act as the assisting device.

1 Like

No, I don’t seem to affected by the router problem others are experiencing. My router is a tp-link 5400, I have done nothing with any settings affecting IPV6.

My Argon had been fine for almost 3 days before it went to the flashing green for the first time. I just reset it after 2 hours of hoping it would figure itself out.

2 Likes

Based on some testing I did this morning, neither SEMI_AUTOMATIC or MANUAL modes are implemented.

As I could not connect the Xenons to a argon/wifi gateway, I just tried out my ethernet featherwing. The xenon I added to the ethernet base was successfully setup and is breathing cyan.

I then tried to add two xenons to this new gateway. The app added the first successfully but soon after this the xenon I added started flashing green. The second xenon did not finish the adding process, it began flashing green during the setup. After some time I disconnected both xenons from power.

So for me, the problem with the green flashing arises both with a argon/wifi gateway AND an xenon/eth gateway.

My router in both cases is a Fritz! Box 7590, via wifi the connection was likely made to a nearby mesh wifi router, which is a Fritz! Box 7490. These devices are extremely common in Germany, I’d bet that easily two out of three people have them at home.

I hope there will soon be a fix - if there’s anything I can do to help and try things out I am happy to do so.

I’m having the exact same issues as @hansamann
I’ve tried both Wifi and Ethernet. Every time the xenons (I have 2) fast flash green. I’ve set them up multiple times now but always the same result.
What is going on here?

Thanks in advance

Have you disabled IP6
and
made sure you have no more than 2 DNS entries

in you router(s).