What camera module can i use with Electron particle 3G

Hello everyone
I am planning to use Electron particle 3G with camera module. I found quite a few online
OV7670 camera module

ttl-serial camera

CMOS camera module

Arducam

But is there anyway i can use any of these with electron board?If yes how? If not how can i accomplish that/alternatives? Thank you very much.

That’s a frequently asked question - and the answer is not that different for the Electron
https://community.particle.io/search?q=camera

Thank you @ScruffR .But I went over the list of camera post, most of them seems to be about video streaming. In my case i just want to be able to take still pictures and send to the web.But I am not sure which camera modules i can start with?

That BMP thing might have been a good info initially :wink:

But in that case I would go for a serial module to save on pins (but it’s slow).

Another thing to consider is the data usage of BMPs cellular (at least with the limited quota of the Particle SIMs).

I haven’t heard of BMP. In my case I don’t mind if it’s slow. Do you mean go for serial camera module? What do you think of camera module i have listed above? Thank you very much.

Yes, you have. BitMaP is what you'd use for your still pictures.

Since the Spark Core people have wanted to use a camera to snap and send pictures.

So far to my knowledge nobody has been able to get a camera mated with any of the Particle platforms.

I would love to see this happen one day though. Even if its not a hi resolution image.

@RWB So no alternatives at all huh?

I’m sure somebody could make one work but so far nobody has to my knowledge.

People normally just say use a Rasberry Pi since it’s better suited for the job.

Oh ok i see…The issue is i want to be able to send the image to the web through 3G only, not wifi nor bluetooth…

Yea the pictures just turns into data like all other data so it does not matter if its 3G, Wifi, or Bluetooth. It’s just that the 3G data rates get expensive if the images are large and frequent.

I’m sure it can be done but I’m not the guy for the job unfortunately.

Yes, @kennethlimcp did ages ago (and I did with the same camera module too), but despite it working it was a pain to get a snap across.
LinkSprite Camera with TTL Serial - #11 by kennethlimcp

Hence my suggestion to properly look at the forum (and this thread did not only feature streaming video)

1 Like

Ahh yes I actually do remember these pictures now :smile:

Actually the quality was not that bad, acceptable in my book for a quick glimpse of what was going on remotely.

So the Photon didn’t make this any easier? I know @peekay123 and @rickkas7 have been working on code for sending large files to and from the Photon with success recently.

It’s not the speed of the µC or the net connection but the RX/TX speed (baudrate) of the camera modules that limit you.

Your talking about video right?

How about just single pictures?

No I’m not talking video.
Just do the maths 640x400x3 byte divided by 38400 bit per second.
Even with 320x200 you’re looking at about 40sec per snap.

I see its best use for myself as a simple security camera that snaps a picture when a sensor is tripped.

So it sounds like taking and sending a picture is something you accomplished back in 2014.

Yes, but cameras haven’t much improved since

Yea plus the market has been flooded with low cost HD wifi security cameras.

How did this go? Have same needs!