Webhooks intentional delay

Is there a way to tell Webhooks to wait a while when going to a site to retrieve data?
I ask because I am retrieving JSON from a site that can be slow, and having the Webhook wait a couple of seconds for a response should solve a problem that I am having with ‘null’ responses when I know that there is data available, which shows up during the next request. I think that the website is just too slow responding sometimes.

@Awake, that is a very interesting idea which may explain why some webhooks are failing to return data. @Dave, is it possible to add a “time to respond” parameter in a webhook that sets a maximum time a webhook will wait for a response?

Ooh, interesting. It should wait for the response to finish, but I’ll definitely look into that.

Thanks!
David

1 Like

@Dave @peekay123
This is what I am seeing that causes me to suspect a timing issue with webhooks:

Every 30 seconds I fire off a request to a webhook.
I only get data back once in a while (data updates every few minutes so it essentially static during this test.)
I added a 5 second delay after the webhook call to slow down things on my end, with no effect.
Steps are:

1. Print “getting feed”
  2. Call Webhook ( Spark.publish(“get_feed”); )
  3. Print “in feed” and data.
    Interestingly, the function called by the webhook definition only runs once in a while:
    Particle.subscribe(“hook-response/get_feed”, gotFeedData, MY_DEVICES);
    The gotFeedData function is what prints “in feed” and data. So the function isn’t even being called if the webhook call doesn’t work.
1 Like

@Dave @peekay123
Additional info:
The roundtrip average time for my request is 5.7 seconds using a simple GET loop.

BTW. I gave up on using Webhooks for my project because it was just too unreliable. Using Httpclient and a fairly straight forward string field matching instead.

1 Like

Hi @Awake,

I’m glad your project is unblocked, I’ll keep working on this on my end! Thanks for all your help / feedback!

Thanks,
David

1 Like

I am seeing similar behavior. Sometimes my pub is posted 4-6 times before I get a response. Cosmetically, it drives me crazy and functionally I’m exceeding the burst rate which only makes things worse and perpetuates the problem. I’m going to try and set a timer of 20 seconds before firing the event again but when I test directly from the weather underground API its generally a .21ms response time. It’s usually right when I’ve restarted my core that it is at its worst. Would that somehow affect this?

1 Like

Something else that would great is if we could put an outbound rate-limit per day/month or whatever and when it is exceeded the Particle cloud wouldn’t attempt to call the hook but reply with a rate-limit exceeded statement. This is especially helpful on early projects where the details are being ironed out.

1 Like

Hi @LukeUSMC,

Good idea! At the moment there are a handful of rate limits that should publish an event back to you talking about the rate limit being exceeded. But I like the idea of a way for people to set some rules about that.

Thanks!
David