We are the engineers behind the new Dashboard, Ask Us Anything

Hey @DanielBernard,

So, we implemented a voting system so the users could tell us what they want/need. I just took a quick look at the stats, the Data and the Devices views are pretty much neck-and-neck.

We're working on a few things already. Probably the feature to come out next is historical events (on the same Log page).

That being said, we'll be getting together early next week to look at feedback from the community and put together a strategic plan and a roadmap. Probably the two highest on the list for us is the overview/dashboard page, the Errors page and the Data page.

We'll be working on all of them pretty quickly.

Did that answer your question?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Definitely!

Itā€™d be neat if those voting stats were accessible via a pinned forum post or something, but itā€™s not that important.

Glad to hear the team is keeping track of community feedback - you guys have always done a great job of that.

I certainly canā€™t speak for @jeiden, but Iā€™m kind of an opportun-ivore. I eat whatā€™s available. Iā€™m not super picky. Iā€™m not really a fan of liver and other organ meats. Beyond thatā€¦ Iā€™m pretty content with whatever.

Probably as much as Zach dislikes raisins, I love Cadbury Mini Eggs. Thereā€™s probably some Karmic balance in there somewhere.

Seems like the legend on the left is getting clipped. Canā€™t see the ā€œ0ā€ in ā€œ0.5ā€ or the ā€œ1ā€ in ā€œ1.5ā€. Using Firefox here.

@Muskie, I suppose thatā€™s possible. Weā€™ll totally check it out. Thanks for the tip. Iā€™ve added a bug to our tracker.

Thanks!

Yeah, thatā€™s also a known bug with the label clipping. Weā€™re working on that one.

After writing the suggestion about stacked events I saw missing events even when no others reached the top of the graph. I donā€™t think it is a display problem. The events are definitely in the list below, but not in the graph.

I can log in to Build w/o issue. Still no joy for Dashboard.

Can you guys give us a little history about yourselves?

What framework is this built on?

@jagreenwood, can you try logging into the dashboard from an incognito window, or a different browser that doesn't have any cookies or local storage?

So, individually, I've been a software developer for 15 or so years, I've worked in a lot of different areas from social media, rich media hosting and monetization (ads on podcasts), personal finance, banking, data warehousing, contracting, online advertising,etc. Here's my linkedin profile: http://linkd.in/1IwqaCn. I don't know if that answers your question there. I've loved hardware for a long time, but haven't really moved beyond the hobby stage with firmware programming. I work here at Spark mostly on the API and backend.

I'll let @jeiden speak for himself. He's an amazing developer and all around good guy.

The front end is built on Ember CLI and it hits a Node.js/Express backend.

Got it figured out. Seems the p/w for community.spark.io got saved for dashboard.spark.io. Thanks!

If you could build a robot to battle other robots (like BattleBots or Robot Wars), what features/weapons would it have?

1 Like

Only ones that violate their overly restrictive rules. Nets, electricity, conductive fluidsā€¦

Soā€¦ most of the features/weapons Iā€™m interested are totally banned. Iā€™m all into EMP and sticky thermite charges, but theyā€™re pretty much against the rules.

If I had to live by the rules, I like the bots that look like beetles with low center of gravity and that are hard to get under to flip, but can try to get underneath other bots and destroy/flip them from the bottom.

I LOVED BattleBots, I even played the PC game when I was a kid. I always was partial to ones with huge metal spikes. I think mine would look like a porcupine with a massive pendulum-style hammer on the top.

@Carsten4207 as for me, Iā€™ve been passionate about how technology can solve big problems since college, when I started messing around with code and startups. Iā€™ve been working as a developer since 2012, when I worked for a large consulting firm doing front-end web dev. I really enjoy where design/experience meets code, thinking of everything from how the user will react to what Iā€™m building.

I found Spark last September, and was instantly attracted to the big problem that was being solved, and the platform being build. Not to mention how awesome the team was! I joined last year, and havenā€™t looked back since. While here, in addition to the dashboard, I built the Spark Store, and the new website just launched this week.

Iā€™ve loved getting to get to know people in this amazing community, and look forward to continuing to build awesome things to help YOU build awesome things.

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to hear any thoughts you have on the website redesign. Why did you do it, what do you like about it?

1 Like

Great question @christine! At Spark, weā€™ve grown to be so more than just a company that sells development kits. With the help of our community, weā€™ve built a platform that spans hardware and software, equipping our users with everything they need to build their connected product. This encompasses the many phases that come with developing products like this, from prototyping your first unit, to scaling to larger volumes, to managing a fleet of products in the marketplace.

We wanted to make sure that our website told this story of Spark as a platform that empowers you every step of the way. I think our new site does a great job of telling this new story, and I am so excited that itā€™s out in the world.

1 Like

Wow, what an excellent answer, @jeiden. Whoever asked you to do this AMA was truly a genius.

3 Likes

Any plans to announce pricing for the Spark Cloud / Dashboard features?

Some of the features of the dashboard (such as ā€œDataā€) would be really useful if you offer significant retention periods, etc. However that implies non-trivial costs for you. So, will there be a premium tier?

Personally, I would welcome some kind of subscription/usage based billing. I like the ā€œfreeā€ in free services, but they raise questions about where revenue comes from (ā€œyou are the productā€, product longevity, etc.).

Hey, @frog

Great question. The short answer is yes. At some point we'll be releasing things will be available under a paid model. The first few features will be no cost, but we'll be introducing features (like longer data retention period) that will be paid features. very soon.

As far as specifics on pricing, I'm not aware of the tiers, or the model, but @danjamieson, from sales could chime in.

Thanks!