Using Adafruit_SSD1306 with Adafruit_mfGFX librairy

Hello,
I’m using the Adafruit_SSD1306 for my project with the web IDE environment. When I tried to use the setFont method from AdaFruit_GFX, it says :

error: 'class Adafruit_SSD1306' has no member named 'setFont'

After some digging, I found out that the Adafruit_GFX library, used within Adafruit_SSD1306, is not the latest one, as the method setFont is indeed not implemented.
The github link for Adafruit_SSD1306 (https://github.com/mpechner/Adafruit_SSD1306) is dead.

I managed to implement the setFont method by some hideous copy/paste from the latests Adafruit_GFX source within my own code but this is definitely not the way I was hoping for. I know have too many files in my project, it’s almost unreadable within the web IDE.
So what would be the best solution to get the SSD1306 updated with the latest Adafruit_GFX library ?

You could use Adafruit_mfGFX (as you say in your title) which has a setFont() function.
But the bad habbit to bring own copies of 3rd party libs in that SSD1306 lib makes this a bit cumbersome.
You could copy-paste the needed files into your own project.

On the other hand, dead repos are a topic for Particle - @Dave, any way to acqure the library and host it in a dedicated “orphaned” GitHub account?

Thanks for your answer. Let’s hope this can be moved to another git…

am also having problem with setFont.
error: ‘class Adafruit_SSD1306’ has no member named ‘setFont’

Are you using Adafruit_mfGFX as mentioned above? mf stands for multi font :wink:

1 Like