Updating from DeviceOS 1.4.4 to 1.5.0-rc.1 -> SOS Panic 1

I’ve moved all my code out of STARTUP and am still encountering the same issue, tried an OTA update and that didn’t make a difference vs DFU.
I see mentions about SPI and should inform you I’m using both SPI buses on my P1 for I/O (SPI has an ePaper display ans SPI1 an SD card)

Attempting to flash the bootloader off github got me the following:

particle flash --usb p1-bootloader@1.5.0-rc.1+lto.bin
Error writing firmware: unknown module function 2, use --force to override

I ran an OTA flash of Tinker targeting 1.5.0-rc1 and got the following from an inspect

particle flash *** tinker --target 1.5.0-rc1  
? Which type of device? P1
attempting to flash firmware to your device ***
Flash device OK:  Update started

Flash success!

particle serial inspect
Platform: 8 - P1
Modules
  Bootloader module #0 - version 400, main location, 16384 bytes max size
    Integrity: PASS
    Address Range: PASS
    Platform: PASS
    Dependencies: PASS
  System module #1 - version 1500, main location, 262144 bytes max size
      System module #2 - version 207
  System module #2 - version 1500, main location, 262144 bytes max size
      System module #1 - version 1500
      Bootloader module #0 - version 400
  User module #1 - version 3, main location, 131072 bytes max size
    UUID: ***
      System module #2 - version 6

@TrikkStar, my experiments revealed that the bootloader version was not the issue.

I think we are circling the same SPI issue brought up by @avtolstoy because my kit also uses the same SPI bus to interface to both the

• OLED display, and,
  • SDCARD

We should now chase this theory. Unfortunately, for me to “unhook” the display and SDCARD interfaces from my very complicated app is a nightmare.

Wondering if you are able to unhook these two interfaces from your application without too much pain? My guess (hope) is that it will work after this…

@peekay123, are you using any SPI interfaces in your errant app by any chance?

@UMD I don’t believe the @rickkas7’s GPS library or the asset tracker v2 uses SPI.

1 Like

It is the SPI mutex issue causing the immediate SOS+1 fault on 1.5.0-rc.1.

It’s the LIS3DH accelerometer that’s causing it.

panic_@0x0803b9a2 (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/services/src/panic.c:68)
prvGetRegistersFromStack@0x08026baa (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/hal/src/stm32f2xx/core_hal_stm32f2xx.c:104)
<signal handler called>@0xfffffff9 (Unknown Source:0)
uxListRemove@0x08045a6c (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/third_party/freertos/freertos/FreeRTOS/Source/list.c:183)
xTaskRemoveFromEventList@0x08046980 (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/third_party/freertos/freertos/FreeRTOS/Source/tasks.c:3114)
xQueueSemaphoreTake@0x08045f72 (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/third_party/freertos/freertos/FreeRTOS/Source/queue.c:1479)
os_mutex_lock@0x0802be30 (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/hal/src/stm32f2xx/concurrent_hal.cpp:387)
Mutex::lock@0x08025662 (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/wiring/inc/spark_wiring_thread.h:246)
SPIClass::lock@0x080256a4 (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/wiring/inc/spark_wiring_spi.h:246)
SPIClass::begin@0x080256a4 (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/wiring/src/spark_wiring_spi.cpp:110)
LIS3DHSPI::LIS3DHSPI@0x080226cc (/Test/lib/LIS3DH/src/LIS3DH.cpp:297)
__static_initialization_and_destruction_0@0x08020c44 (/Test/lib/AssetTrackerRK/src/AssetTrackerRK.cpp:23)
_GLOBAL__sub_I_emptyResponse@0x08020c44 (/Test/lib/AssetTrackerRK/src/AssetTrackerRK.cpp:289)
call_constructors@0x0802b7a0 (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/hal/src/electron/newlib_stubs.cpp:48)
LoopFillZerobss@0x080201f6 (/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.0-rc.1/firmware-1.5.0-rc.1/build/arm/startup/spark_init.S:6)

@rickkas7, for some reason I thought the LIS3DH was using I2C. I guess this means a library update. The more reason to create the SPI_HAS_TRANSACTION #define in Particle.h and/or Arduino.h IMO.

2 Likes

It’s actually because I called SPI.begin() from the constructor, which shouldn’t be done. I’ll release new versions of the libraries to fix this, and also enable SPI transactions.

4 Likes

Good to hear that for your library, but it would be time to address this long standing issue about the Arduino SPI_HAS_TRANSACTION switch mentioned here
https://github.com/particle-iot/device-os/issues/1668

Over a year should have been plenty of time to add that single line of code to the device OS repo.

Excuse the sentiment, but I have lost count of issues I reported that never got a single official response.
Indifference is creeping in on my side for quite some time now.

4 Likes

I released version 0.3.2 of AssetTrackerRK that fixes the SOS+1 at startup with Device OS 1.5.0.

It contains LIS3DH 0.2.5 which actually has the fix; the problem was that SPI.begin() should not be called from a global object constructor. It also uses SPI transactions for compatibility with the Ethernet FeatherWing.

1 Like

@rickkas7, I can confirm that it is now working.

2 Likes

This is excellent news then - we have at least one root cause to the panic, ie SPI access

To close this case, it looks like I may need to update from SDFat 0.0.7 to 1.0.16 as per @ScruffR’s comments: DeviceOS 1.5.0-rc.1 - SoftAP using SDCARD - problem (assumption being that 0.0.7 may not be using SPI TRANSACTION or has SPI.begin() in the constructor???).

I note that I had tried quite some time ago to use the updated lib but came to grief for some reason.

As I had already modified Adafruit’s SSD1306 lib for SPI TRANSACTION usage, this should be sweet as it is.

Will report back with results…

Results are in:

First - removed SD CARD routines from my app - problem remains
Secondly - removed DISPLAY routines from my app - problem remains

Nothing else uses the SPI interface…

Conclusion

In my case, the issue is not related to SPI usage (as suspected by @avtolstoy here: Updating from DeviceOS 1.4.4 to 1.5.0-rc.1 -> SOS Panic 1)

Hmmmm… investigations to continue…

A small update: I have submitted a PR that resolves the SPI issues https://github.com/particle-iot/device-os/pull/2023.

@UMD Unfortunately, I was not able to figure out what causes the problem from the binaries you’ve provided. If you can find a way to provide a minimal application showcasing the problem, we can continue debugging.

1 Like

@avtolstoy, happy to report that the SOS #1 PANIC with DeviceOS 1.5.0-rc.1 with compiling to the same target 1.5.0-rc.1 issue has been resolved in my app.

The issue was traced down (after a lot of work and #ifdefs !) to my NFC code (which out of interest uses I2C).

I had a call to pinMode(D7,input) in the constructor. I moved this to the begin() method which is called in setup().

I will report back on any other issues found under separate tickets.

Thanks for the assistance, as per usual, greatly appreciated!

Case closed!

@avtolstoy here is the minimal source code for you to use to reproduce the issue…

#include <Particle.h>

#define CAUSE_PANIC

class Test
{
	public:

Test();
	    void begin(void);
};

Test::Test()
{
#ifdef CAUSE_PANIC
    pinMode(D7,INPUT);
#endif
}

void Test::begin()
{

#ifndef CAUSE_PANIC
    pinMode(D7,INPUT);
#endif 
}

Test test = Test();

void setup() {

test.begin();

}

@UMD Confirmed that this issue is also resolved by https://github.com/particle-iot/device-os/pull/2023. This is the same one that I’ve outlined in Updating from DeviceOS 1.4.4 to 1.5.0-rc.1 -> SOS Panic 1, except in the context of STARTUP() macro.

2 Likes

Excellent!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.