Unable to change Mode on photon

If you have a 2nd device, such as a core or another photon, you can use that as a programmer too. Reprogramming the bootloader with the latest one should get you out of this - it sounds like the DCT corruption bug that was in the first run of photons.

Sorry you’ve been bitten by this and thanks for your patience in answering questions to get this resolved.

This repo https://github.com/m-mcgowan/embedded-swd shows how you can use one device to program another. The instructions are work in progress - if they’re not clear I’m happy to help you through the process.

3 Likes

Hi. Could you help me with the “Using programmer App” part.

How do I Open a serial terminal to the device.

You can use a software like CoolTerm or Putty

I am using putty on linux. I ued the particle serial list to confirm that my device is connected to /dev/tty/ACM0. But putty gives a message saying unable to connect to device. I used the settings on github namely

• Baudrate: 9600 Data Bits: 8 Parity: none Stop Bits: 1

There i also a flow control option but I leave it a it is : XON/XOFF

When I click on run it says
unable to open connection to:
unable to open serial port

ok do not know why but putty does not work properly on ubuntu. I switched to a windows PC and it works fine. Now I get this error after the " Do you have a dead device and wish to continue ?" msg
Unknown ACK(5) received. Please Double check the wiring then try again. And yeah I did double check the wiring.
PS: I am using a 12K resistor instead of 10K since I do not have one on me right now

I saw that error during development. It’s indicative of a missing GND connection. Double check that you have both GND connections in place.

I checked and double checked both GND connections on both devices. They seem to be working properly. Also should we continue this discussion here in the community forum or on the github repo ?

The problem is electrical - I was bitten by this for hours until I connected both GND connections. You might also try with a 10k resistor, since that’s what specified.

I think one of the connectors that I was using before was faulty. I used a new set of connectors and now I get this error

warning: unexpected idcode: fe7e033f
SWD Protocol error

PS: Using 10k or 12k resistors does not seem to make a difference

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Photon Solid Red LED?