Earlier this year, Particle CEO Zach Supalla spoke at HeavyBit Industries to kickoff the launch of Particle Mesh, the third generation of Particle hardware that includes the Argon, Boron, and Xenon. Here’s a look back at the launch event and what Zach had to say about why we built this new line of mesh-connected hardware.
The talk begins showing the launch video for Particle Mesh and moves to cover the history of the company starting with the Spark Core back in 2013. Zach goes on to covers some of the customers we’ve worked with to help bring products to market. Highlights include Opti, Service Thread, Canary Compliance, and Jacuzzi. The talk continues a takes a deep dive into the motivation for building Particle Mesh and where we see the technology taking the industry.
How we got to Particle Mesh
- 11:00 Customers were retrofitting devices for local communication.
- 13:18 We realized that every device could be a gateway for local communication.
- 13:57 Overview of the Argon, Boron, and Xenon
- 14:22 New protocol, new radios, new sensors, new software
- 15:16 Particle Mesh network overview
- 16:17 Advantages of mesh networks: inexpensive, scalable, and reliable
- 17:42 Powered by Thread and OpenThread
- 19:51 Thread is not just for the smart home
- 29:00 Feather compatible — immediate access to 50+ FeatherWings
- 31:10 Provisioning with BLE
- 32:14 Local diagnostics with BLE
- 32:47 Mesh network management in the cloud
One more thing
- 34:03 Modules coming in Fall 2018
- 34:40 Q&A