Spark Core Projects?

@peekay123 another very well done product and kickstarter video. I like how they gave it a personality from the name to the googly eyes and hair, lol.

I’m pretty new to electronics and Arduino etc, however, creations such as this get me excited as to what can be achieved.

I’m a photographer and would dearly like to be able to remotely upload images to a webspace from cameras positioned in remote (i.e. away from power sources/WiFi areas) places.

With the help of a WiFi hotspots and maybe an Arduino, could this be achieved? I’m currently using a Trigertrap Shield for Arduino to create a laser trip for these remote cameras.

Hi Dougal,

I’m interested in driving a quad with a sparkCore. Have you put much thought into it?

Phil

I am looking to have a little fun for the holidays. I would like to see what would happen when you embed a Spark Core in a Halloween pumpkin…

I expect a cool LED lightshow, being alerted to incoming trick-or-treaters, and possibly one or two extra features.

1 Like

Have you guys heard of the Ube Wifi Dimmer? I was looking for something like the WEMO that has an open API and just ran across it. It looks promising. According to the FAQs they are releasing it with an open API that doesn’t require an internet connection so they can be used just over wifi. They are also multitouch devices, but I don’t know how much the API will allow you to do.

Thoughts? I’d love to use them in my place along with a couple of Cores. Easier home automation without running as many new lines.

Just a small exercise while trying out what all the things in Maker kit does. That damn tiny motor didn’t stay put, so I had to came up with something. :airplane:

3 Likes

Hi everyone! I wrote a little tutorial on how to integrate Spark Core to SmartThings. It includes code and step by step instructions.

http://thinkmakelab.com/2014/01/25/spark-core-for-iot-device-development-in-smartthings/

4 Likes

Very cool @juano2310! I like that that SmartThings app is customizable. Definitely something Spark needs in their arsenal for making IoT easy. I’m guessing you don’t need their $99 hub to just use their IDE and send commands to your Spark Core, right? Probably more for the Z-Wave and Zigbee connections. They have a nice offering though for smart homes.

Hi @BDub! That’s correct, you don’t need the hub to send commands to the Spark Core but it’s nice to use it as a bridge to other devices in your house.
Right now I’m building a SmartThings controlled LED Strip with Spark Core and the code you shared for the Neo Pixels. I will post it as soon as I finish the SmartThings app with the color selector.
Thanks for sharing the Neo Pixel code!
Juan

1 Like

Hi guys! I plan to use the spark core to control an cnc-machine or an 3d-printer over the wifi. I think it would a great possibility to control a 3d-printer with for example an web-application on a tablet. Has anybody experiance with controlling cnc-machines with a spark core or arduino?

Greetings from Germany

1 Like

@juano2310 - I just downloaded the IOS app and I can't seem to add any devices without a smart hub. I was able to create an account and just quit the app when it would not get me past entering my 'welcome code'. When I restarted the app and go to Things->Add+, It tells me I am missing a smart hub.

Can you explain how to use the Smart Things IDE w/o a smart hub?

Here is more detail -

So I followed your tutorial -

Go to “My Device Type” and click on “+New SmartDevice”

After I log in, I only see "My Locations" / "My Hubs" / "My Devices" / "Documentation"
So I select "My Devices" and then "+New Device"

However then I am presented with several fields that do not match your instructions -

Create the Device type with the following values:
Name: Spark Core
Author: juano23@gmail.com
Capabilities: Switch

I love the application concept, but at a loss as to how to configure it for our needs.

I wanted to have it read some of the values of my spark as well as send commands to it - ie - read temperature and toggle an LED.

Thanks!

I checked again and on the SmartThings IDE you can create a new location in “My Locations” and after that you will also be able to create a virtual Hub in “My Hubs”. This will enable you to use the app :smile:
You should be able to see “My Device Types” to the left of documentation. There you can create the Device type with the following values:
Name: Spark Core
Author: juano23@gmail.com
Capabilities: Switch
You can read and right to Spark Core from SmartThings but you might have to dig deeper on how to program on their platform.

1 Like

You definitely need a hub… the giveaway is there is no place to sign up on their website… you have to download the free app to even create an account. Then you walk through the first steps setting your location (map pin dragging is buggy as hell). Then it asks you to plug in your Hub… and enter your Welcome Code… there is no way to skip this that I found.

http://imgur.com/W02Kgd2

Their products don’t look bad, just would be nice not to have to buy the hub to test it out.

Hi @BDub you can create an account here https://graph.api.smartthings.com/register/developer

Then create a new location in “My Locations” and after that you will also be able to create a virtual Hub in “My Hubs”. This will enable you to use the app :smile:

Ok, the login I created with the app works there as well. Is this what you mean by “Virtual Hub” ? FYI: The zigbee ID failed as “1234” but “1234567890” works.

Also not seeing the exact way to configure the “switch” and no place to put code.

I have an other option in the menu called “My device types”.
What happen when you go here http://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices

Honestly, if all you want to use the SmartThings app for is a free way to turn on and off something, you can do it with a lot less hassle just using the Tinker app. SmartThings really seems to shine when you buy the hub and several of their presence sensors, and controls.

I wonder if something changed because I created a new account yesterday and this was still an option :frowning:

Yeah they probably read this post because it goes on Google within minutes of being posted… and they decided they didn’t want a bunch of Spark Core users sucking up their server bandwidth for free.

If I was them though, I would allow it because as you are using the app on your phone, you can see the other device groups and get enticed into making a purchase. At least offer a trial time, or trial number of devices. It’s really not that much bandwidth when you think about it.

Agree. I think that as soon as you start adding a couple of devices you would want more and the link to their shop is right there.