[SOLVED but hopefully not the last word] Photons lose connection to wifi—any ideas?

I am running into a similar issue where my photon stays on the network for a while and then drops off. I noticed some events come through that make it look like the photon is able to reconnect sometimes. However, after several hours the photon seems to lose the connection and then never reconnect again after that. What else besides RSSI should I be logging to help troubleshoot this issue? (RSSI is ~-67 so I don’t think that’s the problem).

I am connected to an SSID that does have 2.4 and 5GHz on it, but they are not Apple routers. They are enterprise grade routers.

@AlexSneedMiller, Particle recommends NOT having the same SSID for both bands.

Is that because of the issue where some routers try and upgrade devices to 5GHz? The Photon should not be able to ever see the 5GHz network SSID so it shouldn’t ever try to connect to it.

Hi @AlexSneedMiller

In my experience the problem is in the router, not the device. The router tries to push traffic to the faster SSID forcing a disconnect on the 2.4GHz device and expects it to reconnect on 5GHz but of course it cannot. Somehow this process seems to leave the device in a bad state.

One solution is to change the SSIDs of the two networks so the router cannot try this trick.

Another solution is to find the setting in your router and disable this feature.

2 Likes

Still seems relevant in 2020 - I randomly had issues with an existing network after I added an additional access point, and so far splitting off the 2.4GHz network and having my photons connect to that has done the trick.

1 Like