Smallest viable battery for E-Series (LTE M1 or 3G)

Hi again,

I purchased some of the batteries from BatterySpace recommended by @RWB (thanks!) but they come without internal protection circuitry. This has me nervous. I’ve read up on various threads on the forum, including: (1) PMIC (only sometimes) not charging when battery voltage is below 3.5V, (2) Bug Bounty: Electron not booting after battery discharges completely, and some of the threads linked in both, all of which has me pretty convinced that the E-Series’ on-board PMIC is insufficient for undervoltage protection.

Is anyone (@RWB and @BDub, you were both really helpful in the above threads!) able to offer any words of wisdom for dealing with lithium battery protection or if it’s even needed beyond the already included PMIC? I have been unable to find batteries that meet my size specifications (~ 3.5 mm thick) and the ~ 1 A peak discharge that come with built-in protection so I’m trying to make sure I know how to deal with that. Can I tweak anything on the PMIC (or do I even need to) to ensure I have proper battery protection?

Thank you!