SLEEP_NETWORK_STANDBY with Cellular.off()?

Currently I’m calling Cellular.off() before calling deep sleep. My understanding is I need to call Cellular.off() before deep sleeping to be in the lowest power state.

I want to try out the new network_standby option:
System.sleep(SLEEP_MODE_DEEP, 30, SLEEP_NETWORK_STANDBY);

I’m assuming I should no longer call Cellular.off() before deep sleeping in network standby mode?

Thanks.

That’s correct. The default action in 0.5.0 is to turn off the cellular module (Cellular.off()) so you no longer need to specify that yourself. And if you don’t want to turn off the cellular module (to keep the GPRS attachement) you can use the network standby flag.

3 Likes

Thanks.
I did a quick test with SLEEP_NETWORK_STANDBY. My connection time went from ~30s to 11s. The time I was measuring was from the start of Cellular.on to when Particle.connected is true.

Do you have any numbers for the deep sleep current when in standby mode is enabled?

I measured:

• 160uA in SLEEP_MODE_DEEP without SLEEP_NETWORK_STANDBY
  • 1.8mA in SLEEP_MODE_DEEP with SLEEP_NETWORK_STANDBY

I haven’t seen any numbers published with network standby yet. I’m curious if sleep in the low mA is expected in standby mode?

1 Like

Thanks for the deep sleep power consumption numbers.

I’m using SLEEP_NETWORK_STANDBY + System.sleep mode and it works great.

Can you measure the current consumption for System.sleep + SLEEP_NETWORK_STANDBY ?

I would greatly appreciate it!

So what is the bottom line to save the most power, SLEEP_NETWORK_STANDBY or not?

For twelve hours during the day I wake up from sleep for a minute read my sensor and then sleep for ( one hour) System.sleep(SLEEP_MODE_DEEP,3600);The rest of the time I sleep for 12 hours System.sleep(SLEEP_MODE_DEEP,43200); I was thinking of adding the SLEEP_NETWORK_STANDBY for the continuous twelve hour sleep cycle. Does it really matter in terms of battery life? Cellular usage?

The latest 0.5.0 Electron firmware now automatically turns the cellular radio off when you call SLEEP_MODE_DEEP. I'm pretty sure that is the lowest power consumption mode possible.

With the modem off network standby will not work.

Also check this out:

Thanks @RWB.