RFID Project: Advice needed

Wanted to followup on this. I’ve actually got the SparkFun library compiling on the Particle IDE. @callen.

I’m wondering if anyone found a workaround for not using SoftwareSerial.h and we could cut out the Arduino all together?

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

Particle devices are using a flavour of the Wiring programming scheme (which is often refered to as Arduino "language").
Cutting that out would also mean to remove commonly used functions like pinMode(), digitalRead(), digitalWrite() and the likes.
You can go bare metal if you wish, but what would be the benefit?

Also, what would you want to substitute SoftwareSerial with, other than a HW serial interface as shown in some of the posts in this thread, or the Particle version of SoftwareSerial ParticleSoftSerial (which in most recent versions should also be accessible as SoftwareSerial).

I’m trying to find a way to eliminate the Arduino @callen is using in his project and just have the SparkFun Simultaneous RFID Reader connected to the Electron. Has this been deemed impossible? I tweaked about one line of code in the reader’s library and it compiles. I’m just not sure how to get the examples to work since they use the Arduino SoftwareSerial lib.

Apologies, my aptitude is way behind on some of this stuff.

As I mentioned in my previous post there is ParticleSoftSerial which replaces SoftwareSerial for the Particle platform.

However with the Electron you have also extra HW serial interfaces you can use, which the Arduinos just lack and hence SoftwareSerial was the only way.

Hello there,

I am trying to do a similar thing. I’ve got a SparkFun Photon Redboard, which is a Photon in the shape of an Arduino that the Simultaneous RFID scanner fits on directly. This way I can have a wireless wifi enabled RFID scanner.

Trouble is I need to do exactly what you are proposing, not using an Arduino in between. Did you have any more luck with that and if so, could you maybe post some of your code? I’ve made some fun projects over the years but am by no means a pro and have no experience with RFID scanners.