[RESOLVED] Voltage regulator to process vin 5.4/5 to 4.8min/5.2max?

Sorry if this has already been asked, couldn’t find anything similar.

It looks like virtually all usb style power supplies are giving 5.4 - 5.5v vin. Unfortunately my new product design must use 3 x pressure sensors that require 4.8 - 5.2 v vcc. I’ve already fried one today with 5.5v

Any suggestions as to which voltage regulator to use? The 5.x vin is also being used to provide dirving power for 4 x relays so needs to provide minimum 500ma current (the sensors only draw typ 7ma and max 10ma each, 4 x relay drive is about 100 ma so 500ma is probably overkill, but would prefer to be safe.

Signal return from sensor is max 4.8v, using divider to insure max 3.3v for analog input.

Note 3.3v sensors cost $70 - $80 compared to $7-$8 for 5…0v sensors, and as this is a commercial product in development, price means we have to use the 5.0v vcc sensors.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Here is a ton of affordable high quality voltage regulators https://www.pololu.com/category/84/regulators-and-power-supplies

If you're powering your device from the USB port, the Vin pin outputs 4.8 volts at 1 amp (on the Photon, not sure about the Electron). Can you not use that to power your pressure sensors?

you would think so but i am getting between 5.27 and 5.5 vin from various usb power supplies

Whatever caused the issue has resolved. Didn’t work out why.

You shouldnt have any issues powering your pressure sensors at those voltages. Its not likely a device like a pressure sensor would work at 5.2V and fail at 5.5V. Your issue was probably related to something else.