Remove device via cloud API

Hi @jeiden, are you able to give us any updates on this?

Thanks for pinging me on this. Sorry for the delay. We’re currently following a manual process for unclaiming devices for a customer. For the time being, please reach out to hello@particle.io to get your customer device unclaimed.

I know this sucks. I promise to work on this starting early next week to get more of an automated solution.

Thanks @jeiden, looking forward to hearing more :smile:

Just an update on this –

I worked yesterday on exposing unclaiming functionality for customers. There will be a new API endpoint to unclaim an organization device, that will look like DELETE /v1/orgs/:orgSlug/devices/:deviceId. This endpoint will now unclaim devices owned by both users and customers.

This is the endpoint you should use if you are a member of an organization and need to unclaim one of your devices.

As another safeguard to avoid getting stuck, DELETE /v1/devices/:deviceId (the existing unclaim endpoint) will also now unclaim customer devices, if the owner of the device hits the endpoint. Both of these endpoints also were also better documented to help with communication.

The best part? You won’t have to use the command line to use these API endpoints. We’ve added dashboard support to provide a UI to help you unclaim devices, both as an organization and as an individual developer.

These changes are currently undergoing internal pull-request review. Will update as I know more.

4 Likes

Thanks @jeiden!!!

Hey all! Just wanted to ping you and let you know that customer device unclaiming is now available via the Particle Dashboard. See this post for more details! Try it out and let us know what you think.

cc @durielz @G65434_2 @flavio.ferrandi @1inarow

1 Like