Possible future option for consideration

Hy Guys,
May i make a suggestion on a possible option, what about using the STM32F207 device with full ethernet capability?
wifi is great, but for speed of access ethernet would be a LOT faster and more reliable.
Just a thought.
Tezza

3 Likes

A hardwired ethernet connection wouldn’t be mobile or remote friendly, and network speed is not an issue. We’re not streaming live video. It’s a mobile development platform.

1 Like

Hi @MisterNetwork yes admittedly, but then wifi also isnt that mobile, you cant have the photon connect to wifi’s it happens to pass, which limits its portability to a great extent. so it couldnt be used for an onboard GPS monitor for example, you would need to tether it to a phone to use it mobile.

or portable wifi hot spot - as I do. Don't forget the soon out Electron is Wan internet connected!! I can't wait! :smile:

I would like to second this option. Ethernet isn’t just about being the main connection to the Particle Cloud. I am looking at some industrial applications where I need to grab data from devices that are either on a LAN or require a direct ethernet connection. I’ve been working with others to try and get the basic Wiznet5100 breakout working with the Core/Photon and things are…challenging.

I think my ideal situation would be an Electron with ethernet capability. Anybody else?

1 Like

Perhaps consider the Raspberry Pi as a hardwired solution. Lots of extras with ethernet, usb, and hdmi built in.

There have ben quiet a few people requesting/discussing a Particle device with ethernet. I for one would be very interested as well, reliability and speed would be the main reasons.
I think the most constructive thread about a wired version is this one, although it has been quiet for a while now. Maybe there should be some particle organised poll.. (@zachary)
It would definitely look good in the line up, WiFi, 3G, Bluetooth, Ethernet..

1 Like

Totally happy to have someone in the community build this, in the same spirit as bluz. We’d be very happy to support it! It’s not on our internal roadmap, but I know Andy is very keen on it and willing to do the work. Just adding our vote of support to Ethernet as a community effort. :+1:

1 Like