POE + Mesh questions

@armor @shanevanj thanks for your inputs. Will go the ethernet featherwing route then. I now have to figure out how the wiring will work when using the ethernet featherwing and a couple of sensors - I posted the question somewhere else on the forum - how to connect peripherals when using the ethernet featherwing since the argon/xenon is sitting directly on the featherwing ( a total noob question / ignorance). I was advised to solder. But i was hoping to be able to at least test the connections out before soldering. Will be great to see some pictures of how others have wired up sensors when using something like the ethernet featherwing.

I use these for prototype or small volume installations so you can easily update without the danger of damaging the Ethernet wing.

@shanevanj Question about the POE adapter and the ethernet featherwing. Since the POE adapter is supplying 5V to the VUSB pin on the featherwing, can I power any 5V sensor from the VUSB pin or do I need a level shifter?

You can power a 5V sensor - HOWEVER - the gen3 devices only tolerate 3V3 on the I/O ports so you will need a level shifter if the sensor output is 5V.

Additionally the power available is limited so be aware of what current is needed by the sensor.

1 Like