Ping using particle cloud not working?

Hello,

I use quite a lot the particle cloud calls to do all kind of stuff like claim a device, get an auth token, etc… no real issue until then until I tried to use the ping function.

Using:

curl https://api.particle.io/v1/devices/<propoer device ID>/ping \
       -X PUT \
       -d access_token=<proper initial token or just created access_token>

This returns always the same:

{"error":"invalid_request","error_description":"The access token was not found"}

Even if I can use right before and right after the same token to retrieve other data (like list devices for instance). Anyone having the same experience with the ping?

Best regards,

Steven

(ScruffR: reformated the text blocks to make the <...> appear in text and not be interpreted as HTML tags)

I assume you put the device ID between the two // before ping.

However, was it exactly like that, in 3 lines? If you span across lines each line has to end with a backslash \ otherwise the 2nd and 3rd lines will be ignored and you’ll get that error. Or you could just combine them into one line.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes I put the deviceid in between the // … I also tried the version in one line, I also tried with a software like Insomnia (i.e Postman) … always same result.
I tried it also with alamofire (because I develop on iOS), same result in the feedback Json.

Steven

Not sure what’s wrong then. I tried this command (not actually the device ID or token) and it works:

curl https://api.particle.io/v1/devices/0468136beae1556af72d3230/ping -X PUT -d access_token=72a2f53299959e01bc3956ab635dcb0cf9832454

Make sure you don’t have a space between the = and the first character of the access token.

There are two different errors, the one you mention where the access_token is not found in the request, and “The access token provided is invalid.” which means the token is invalid. So it’s most likely a subtle problem in how your request is formatted.

mm … writing the same command now with again a brand new token has produced the result I was expecting … sorry about the trouble and thanks for the quick help :slight_smile: