Photon SoftAP refuses connection or requires password

The first picture shows the host is on 169.254.65.30 which is a magic “no DHCP” address. That seems unexpected! I can see why you get no route to host.

Spot on. It never actually connects successfully.

And the second pic says security is open, which doesn’t explain the password pop-up.

OK, so unless someone can show otherwise on a laptop, here’s what I’m seeing:

• the Photon advertises an open AP as expected
  • the AP can be joined as expected
  • however, DHCP is not working

@mdma That at least gives us a place to start. I’ll add that tidbit to JIRA.

1 Like

Perhaps @KyleO or someone could try “forgetting” that network on the iOS device. It may be mis-remembering that it has security in the OS, not in the app.

1 Like

We are working on a theory that the problem is related to the newer versions of the apps, both ios and android. We have an older version of the android app ( using ‘io.particle:cloudsdk:0.1.2’ ) that does not exhibit the same behavior. Meaning we can repeatedly add credentials through SoftAP with the older app.

2 Likes

@bko Going through the process of having the phone forget does not seem like a solution because once you have gotten a device in this locked out softap state a second phone that has never connected to the device cannot make the softap connection either.

1 Like

@jonlogan Trying to follow the conversation that has continued at https://github.com/spark/firmware/issues/547

It looks like there is a request to confirm the issue no longer exists in the new firmware? Our team is stretched thin this week, but we desperately want to see a fix!

We’d appreciate anyone else in the community that has recreated this issue please try with this new rev of firmware.

1 Like

Thanks for unifying the threads, @mashandburn

@jonlogan @zachary @mdma: Were you guys able to reproduce the issue with firmware 0.4.4 or 0.4.3? Rather than drawing this out through lots of back and forth with us and the community, we would likely reach a resolution faster if you reproduced the issue on 0.4.3 or 0.4.4 yourself and then tested against 0.4.5.

We experience the problem with bone-stock photons and your production app downloaded from the app store, so reproducing the issue should be extremely easy.

@TheAmos thanks for the reply. Unfortunately we don’t have the time or resources to attempt to reproduce this on older versions right now.

In any case, the only fix for this issue would be to upgrade to a newer firmware version (in this case, the new 0.4.5 release). We recommend you do that on some local test devices as a next step and let us know what you see. (Mat was not able to reproduce the issue on 0.4.5, so we are hopeful that this is the release that fixes it!)

Thanks.

Have there been any updates to this issue or the github ticket?

I’m seeing this exact same issue on 0.4.9. I’ve tried a variety of different things and here are some of my findings.

1. It’s network dependent - home networks seem to work better whereas enterprise or large scale network environments tend to reproduce this problem easily.
  2. If the device is left alone for 12-24 hours it will sometimes work again on the first try. Any subsequent tries will fail.
  3. Android will simply not let you connect, and iOS will ask for a password.
  4. Telling it to “forget” the softAP ssid from a prior connection doesn’t resolve the issue.
  5. Wifi sniffer shows good signal strength and the device works like a charm in certain environments so doesn’t seem like a board layout issue.

You could consider moving on to 0.5.1.
Since 0.4.9 several things - including SoftAP support - got fixed, added, polished.

We were seeing the same thing described all through this post, however only in the office environment, if we took the devices somewhere else it wasn’t happening. It turns out our office is running a network that contains Rogue access points through 802.11 Deauthorization and disassociate messages.
See : https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Air_Marshal

Once we whitelist the SSID in Air Marshall all the connectivity worked as normal - obviously that isn’t convenient but its good to know where the issue we were seeing comes from.
Not sure if this is what others are seeing but I assume there should be a way to use a network analyzer to scan for those low level messages and see if it is happening.

I have added Photon to the whitelist on our air marshall and I still have this issue. I will describe the steps to replicate. Replication is not consistent but it does happen.

1. Device comes to my facility and automatically connects to the router, due to the firmware I have the factory install.
  2. We connect to the device, register the Photon to the particle cloud and link it with our account. (device should be ready to ship at this point)
    3.Take the device (testing) It connect just great using the app (my app or the particle app).
  3. Clear the credentials (using the setup button).
  4. Try to connect it again and often here is what happens
    5.a. It appears to connect for a little while (although we are still trying to figure out whether this is true or not). About 10 seconds and then instead of having the blue check mark in the apple settings (or the “connected” in android). The icon starts spinning and android says "obtaining IP address."
    5.b Now if we cycle power quickly while this is happening it finishes the connection and stays connected.
    5.c Clear the credentials and start over at step 5.

I white listed the devices on air marshall.
I saw the same behavior on tinker and my own application (I was trying to rule out something in my code).
I am observing this behavior in the phones wifi set up menu (android and iOS) to rule out issues with an app (mine or particles)

I need to get this figured out and if someone can definitely give me root cause and/or a fix I would be happy to apply a bounty of $50 in form a giftcard. It is seriously making me crazy.

Right now it seems like after you connect to the same device in SoftAP mode with the same phone the phone ton gets grumpy and disconnects after a few seconds. But if you quickly cycle power while that network is selected (in the phones wifi settings menu) it works everytime.

Thanks and btw I someone nails this I would be happy to pay the bounty.

Has there ever been a resolution to this…

My devices are all on 0.6.0 firmware.

I am trying to deploy 5 units remotely and it seems that it won’t allow me to setup the WiFi with my cell phone a second time, even after wiping the devices from my particle account, re-pairing them with the account, and on first try my device sees the WiFi connection in its list of available connections, but not inside the Android app, and device continues to blink blue-off-blue-off.

I don’t have a suitable mobile computer to run CLI On the network I am trying to make it connect to, so I am plum stuck how I can get this device on my network.

I tried writing the wifi connection settings I to the firmware .ino even, didn’t connect, I’m assuming it needs to make that handshake.

It’s pretty infuriating considering networking is just a Mish mash everywhere you go…

Since you are posting this under a SoftAP topic, have you got a SoftAP page hooked up in your firmware?
If so, why not use your mobile browser (e.g. via 192.168.0.1) to access that page?