Photon randomly hard_faults with no user code running

I have a Photon that randomly hard faults and resets a few times an hour. I was assuming it was my code but i just did a test where i have empty setup() and loop() and i still see these hard faults at the same rates. Is it possible this is bad hardware? I don’t have a free Photon sitting around right now to swap out.

Hello,

Let me ping someone that might be able to help, @tylercpeacock are you able to assist?

Kyle

Hi @Raelx,

That’s pretty weird! Can you tell us more about your environment? What system firmware is the photon running, is it plugged in to anything (breadboard, power supply)? What wifi networks can you see from where you are, is it a lot (10 networks, 50?)

Thanks,
David

2 Likes
  • Firmware is 0.6.2, had the same problem on 0.6.1
  • It’s on a screw terminal breakout board in the electrical cabinet of a large air compressor, so a lot of 60Hz noise from the incoming AC but nothing HF, no VFD in this compressor.
  • Powered from a DC power supply regulated to 5vdc
  • Has three analog inputs from sensors
  • And can probably see 10 wifi networks, but is only connected to one. I have two other Photons in equipment in the same area and they do not exhibit this problem so i would say not wifi related

I’m going to bring in a spare Photon from home tomorrow and try swapping it and see if the problem follows.

What exactly is a hard fault?

Thanks for the help

Hi @Raelx,

I would try your photon powered over USB while not connected to anything else, running Tinker, to see if it’s still crashing on startup. That will help you reduce what conditions might be impacting the device (severe electrical / RF noise, power spikes, etc).

Here are some details on faults / SOS:

https://docs.particle.io/guide/getting-started/modes/photon/#red-flash-sos

Thanks,
David

2 Likes