Particle.publish bug? Overlap in event name causing webhook to send to multiple endpoints

I have 3 different webhooks set up for Particle devices for customers in different geographical regions (NA, Europe, Asia) as my serverless endpoints are regional. The particle.publish() event names are respectively (see below):

• scan
  • scan_europe
  • scan_asia

I started with only NA customers only and then began adding on international customers. However, as reported by a customer, the scan_europe events are also simultaneously hitting the scan endpoint causing duplicate events.

I also just verified this again on my end by creating a separate scan_dev event name and seeing it hit the scan endpoint. When I change the event name to just dev it does not.

Did I somehow miss this in the documentation? If this is a bug, can it be resolved so that I don’t have to individually flash unique event names for the various devices that are already out in the field?

Thank you.

That’s not a bug but by design.
And as such is documented for Particle.subscribe() which also applies to webhooks as it is using the same logic.

In console.particle.io/integrations you also get an info about this behaviour here (indicated by the term prefix)

Here is some info about the prefix in the docs:
https://docs.particle.io/reference/developer-tools/cli/#particle-subscribe

Thanks both, now don’t I feel silly. Gotta do a better job of RTFM.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.