Particle debugger for JTAG programming of ATF1500-series parts?

Hi there. I’ve got a couple of Particle Debugger boards. Confusingly, they’re for sale and in stock, but their docs say they’re no longer sold. Which is too bad, because it’s a sweet little device.

In any case, they worked great for me to program some Cortex-M0 boards I had. Now I’m wondering if they can program an Atmel CPLD, the ATF1502ASV. Those devices use a 4-pin JTAG tap (TDI, TMS, TCK, and TDO), and the docs say this thing supports JTAG.

I’m getting the parts some time next week, and I’ll be able to try then, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that I should be able to send svf files to it. A post was able to do this with a simple FTDI adapter using this invocation:

bin-x64\openocd.exe -f scripts\interface\ftdi\um232h.cfg -c "adapter_khz 400" -c "transport select jtag" -c "jtag newtap ATF1504AS tap -irlen 3 -expected-id 0x0150403f" -c init -c "svf atf1504as-erase.svf" -c "sleep 200" -c shutdown

Thanks!

That almost certainly will not work. The Particle debugger only support CMSIS/DAP, which uses SWD to communicate with the target device (SWDIO, SWCLK, and optionally SWO). It doesn’t support the full set of JTAG pins.

The Particle Debugger is deprecated and no longer manufactured because the STM32 processor on it is no longer available, but it took longer than expected to sell through the last remaining stock in the store so confusingly it still is for sale.

1 Like

Oh I see. Because the docs said “over common interfaces like JTAG and SWD,” I assumed that meant more than just SWD.

Is that STM32 just not available because of the ongoing supply chain issues, or has it been formally discontinued?

Very few units of the debugger were sold and I think that particular STM32 model was discontinued, or at least it’s unobtainable. For fun, search on Digi-Key for STM32F2. There are 116 models of the STM32F2xx series theoretically for sale, and only one is in stock today, and really expensive.

Generic CMSIS/DAP debuggers are widely available and cheap on Amazon, eBay, and AliExpress now, as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.