P2 won't connect to WiFi

Working on a new project using the P2 and it is getting stuck on the green connecting light.

I've tried running device doctor and this fails
Particle Wifi serial also fails
Particle identify returns as expected
Particle serial inspect seems to suggests there may be something off:

Platform: 32 - P2
Modules
  Bootloader module #0 - version 1008, main location, 65536 bytes max size
    Integrity: PASS
    Address Range: PASS
    Platform: PASS
    Dependencies: PASS
      Bootloader module #2 - version 2
  Bootloader module #1 - version 2, main location, 8192 bytes max size
  Bootloader module #2 - version 2, main location, 307200 bytes max size
  System module #1 - version 3212, main location, 2097152 bytes max size
      Bootloader module #0 - version 1008
  User module #1 - version 6, main location, 2097152 bytes max size
    UUID: 
    **Dependencies: FAIL**
**      System module #1 - version 5003**

I don't understand the dependency fail issue and i can't find any info on it, so maybe nothing?

The other odd thing, when i run particle identify it tells me the P2 is on

Your system firmware version is 3.2.1-p2.3

But according to the compiler only deviceOS 5.0.0 supports the P2 so i can't compile for 3.2.1 as the P2 isn't supported. My next train of thought was to update the device OS manually through the CLI, but , WiFi serial doesn't work, and particle update tells me the P2 has the latest OS on? So i can't connect it to the cloud to download the latest OS.

I have some P2s that are running fine, it was difficult to get these running on the cloud with the latest OS etc but the doctor sorted these out.

I'd love it if someone can tell me the official process to claim and activate these. In my head i should be add the device to my product, claim it through the CLI, turn the device on, connect it to a wifi network using Particle Wifi Serial which should then download the latest OS, then flash firmware and i'm away. Something in here isn't right.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Hi, maybe you can use the device restore tool?
Best

2 Likes

Device Restore USB is the best plan since the device is now in an unknown state.

• particle update won’t work because there is no LTS release for the P2 yet.
  • particle serial wifi should work if the device is in listening mode.
  • particle doctor won’t work, as it does not support the P2.
  • particle setup does not work on the P2.

What I’d guess happened is this:

If you flash firmware that targets a newer version of Device OS than is on the device, the device should go into safe mode (breathing magenta), connect to the cloud, and update Device OS.

Except, since you didn’t have credentials, the device could not connect to the cloud.

You should be able to particle serial wifi to set credentials on a P2, but there is a possibility you can’t do this in this scenario when the device is trying to also update Device OS at the same time. Setting credentials first, or using Device Restore USB, may work better.

1 Like

The device restore tool allowed me to get the right OS on to flash my firmware and @rickkas7 you got it spot on! Thanks for the heads up on the support for the P2.

If the particle setup on P2 doesn’t work, How can I set it up and claim it

The particle serial wifi command in the CLI can be used to set the Wi-Fi credentials.

Thanks, @rickkas7 my end users need something simple to set up their Wifi settings. How is that possible?

Have a look at the ble WiFi manager and this

https://gatewaycando.com/p2config

I’ve got a modified version of the library that adds some extra features, I will get it on .git when I’m back in work tomorrow.

Hi Kazem, here is a thread that discusses a potential workaround:

Best

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.