New to Coding - Need a little help - Particle Photon - Garage Door

It looks like the rewiring that MJones suggested did the trick. The Both function is now working with the code above.

It is still behaving strange with the other garage RF remotes though.

ANother odd thing is the doors aren’t working 100% like they were prior to rewiring. I’m not sure if that is something with the code or what.

Thanks all for the help.

The next parts in the project

1. Setup a sensor to detect Open/Shut state of the garages
  2. Setup a timer that shuts the garages every night at a certain time and also shuts the garage after being open for an hour or so.

Be careful with timers, since nasty things can happen when you need it to be open at that time. You wouldn't want the door to close when there's something under there (for whatever reason). Rather, check for the state, and send a notification to prompt you to open/close it.

2 Likes

Good point Moors. honestly, the reason I would be attempting it isn’t because I would put it into production, simply to learn. I look at that as an opportunity to see the behavior of timers with these devices, it would be more of a novelty. Just like implementing the open both garage comment. Probably will never actually use it :slight_smile:

but wow, its fun!

I’ve actually learned a ton more about Google home and ifttt through this process. Ifttt and Ghome is pretty straightforward, but fun to learn, nonetheless.

The RF interference is ridiculous. Its really my only problem at this point. I’m planning on getting some longer wires and running it into my basement so it doesn’t interfere. Its pretty ridiculous how close you have to get to the garage for it to actually open.

Where is the antenna coming off of your opener? Is it between the door and the photon or behind it?

The photon is now mounted on the ceiling between the openers. The antenna for the openers are a brown cord that just hangs off the back of them. I had the photon mounted directly on one of the openers the other day when there were problems. Now that i have it mounted in between, the RF openers work, but you have to get right up to the door.

the new standards (in the US) require a signal in the form of an audio alarm and flashing light prior to initiating any autonomous closing of a garage door. It seems like a fun improvement for you to add some kind of loud buzzer and flashing signal for a couple of seconds before closing.

It seems you could move the photon near the mounted switches and put the relays in line there... if it isn't too ugly! :wink:

I’d love to mount lights/audio for the garage. I may do that after I setup my sensor to detect open/closed state.

I think I will be mounting the photon by the spot where the wall buttons are. I could tie right into the wiring too!

well then, you could also add a PIR sensor as a "belt and suspenders" approach; don't close door if you have recent motion... like an opossum which would then be trapped, then it will die, then it will become liquified and become very stinky.

Yup, it happened to me... Vicks VapoRub to the rescue!!!
:unamused:

3 Likes

What a way to go! HAHAHAHAHA that’s disgusting.