My Photons are experiencing inconsistent Wi-Fi connection behavior

Hi Will,

Thanks for your fast response. I appreciate that.

I am sorry if haven’t mentioned some points more clearly enough and was only referring to our e-mails conversation with the support. This might have caused some misunderstanding.

Currently, we are using normal photons, no custom PCB boards.

Also, we did really spend a lot of time not only trying to fix the problems but also to make sure, that nothing we do causes the problems.
Otherwise, I wouldn’t have written this and post this in your forum with the old topic.

We already talked to your free customer support and followed all their advice until they said that the problems are beyond what they can resolve in support.

We also posted in the community. Unfortunately, they couldn’t help us either. Sudden troubles with wifi strength and connecting to the cloud

In addition to the points I mentioned in the last post, we brought brand new photons just to check if they had the problems. We checked the antennas for damages and used external antennas which had the same problems. We used your different firmware versions and used your blink led stock app to make sure that our code wasn’t the problem. We measured the Wi-Fi strength with the WiFi.RSSI() function. There we saw big differences between individual photons in exactly the same spot but also big fluctuations over time with the same photon.
To make sure that none of the accessories is causing the problems we checked different power supplies and USB cables.
Of course, everything without any hardware connected to the photon or any enclosures might blocking the signal.
And we even bought photons from different load/charges to make sure that we were just unlucky and got a few bad devices.

And then there is this strange thing that working photons suddenly start to have connections and Wi-Fi range problems after one or two weeks (in one case even after a day, suddenly stopped working) without any environmental changes or any code/hardware changes happened at this time. Sometimes this even happens in different steps. First, the internal antenna works fine but then shows problems, so we install an external one only to have the same problems a little bit later.

Therefore, we made the request to send you these photons were the Wi-Fi range suddenly has dropped to find out why this happens without any external changes.

If we might have missed some possible causes for these problems, we are more than happy to try them out.
It would be great if you can connect us to someone who can help us with this more special troubleshooting.

1 Like