Looking for outdoor, infrared, remote controllable,WiFi camera recommendations - Pigenator smart pig trap

Do you have experience with outdoor, wifi, infrared cameras that you can control programatically (or at least through their web interface)???

I need to find good wifi or PoE wired camera, with infrared, that delivers images and video via SMTP and/or FTP that I can control remotely via code/web interface in the same manner that I can with 3g/4g cellular trail cameras.

Anyone out there know of such a beast?

…the long version:

So I’ve built a smart remote pig trap - see here:https://community.particle.io/t/electron-vs-boron-living-on-the-edge-what-has-changed-with-the-cellular-connection/47872

Development of the system has progressed a lot since the post above. I’m now using Doppler Radar sensors to detect movement in all directions around the trap (because PIR has it’s limitations). Motion detection by the Boron triggers Microsoft Power Automation scripts to send SMS commands to my cameras to take pictures. These photos are passed to MS computer vision and if a “large animal” is detected within the trap footprint then the system notifies me with a text (quite literally waking me up if its after my bed-time). All the system data (solar charge, radio data, gate status, motion detection, feed levels and schedules) are all collected and stored in a database. I’m using MS Power BI to generate reports and housing the whole system in an MS SharePoint site.

All is well and good BUT I have areas where I want to deploy this system that don’t have good cell service. Cell-repeaters are available here in Australia but they are expensive and short-range. I’ve been able to deploy industrial IoT routers on solar power systems in trees and on ridge-lines and get wifi into areas where I want to place a trap (and if I use kit like Ubiquiti Nanobeams that could be 10km away from an area with good cell service).

So - I need to find good wifi or PoE wired camera, with infrared, that delivers images and video via SMTP and/or FTP that I can control remotely via code/web interface in the same manner that I can with 3g/4g cellular trail cameras.

Any experience people?

1 Like

low-light

overview

Trap sequence YouTube link.