Lifepo4 vs lipo charging 1s barrel batteries

Simple question: Can we use lipo (and/or NiMH) chargers to charge LifePoe4 batteries?

I have searched the internet and it seems like this question isn’t directly answered anywhere (that’s easy to find at least)

Example batteries
AA lifepoe4
14430 lifepo4
example NiMH charger

Some details – Imagine a 2s setup with a voltage regulator/converter to power Photons or any other small device at either 5v or 3.3v in. I want to recharge the batteries in a simple fashion as single cell batteries…I have several LiPo chargers around for 18650s and rechargeable AA NiMH batteries etc. Can any of these chargers be used to charge lifepoe4 batteries?

The internet seems to be fairly unanimous on the need for constant current (cv) and constant current (cc) but none of my older lipo charges explicitly state that they are lifepoe4 compatible…but they do seem to output a cv of 4.2v…it seems as through the single cell charge voltages are 3.6v and they output 3.2v…which leads me to believe that the lipo chargers aren’t really compatible with lifepoe4 batteries…

Can someone here provide a more definitive answer on this? I don’t want to ruin my lifepoe4s but I also don’t want to buy new chargers for no reason and even if I did I can’t really even find a good lifepoe4 charger on amazon…So confused.

Thanks for helping.

No you can’t charge LFP batteries with Li-ion chargers because the Li-ion chargers will try to charge the LFP cell up to 4.0-4.2v per cell when its best to stay around 3.6v per LFP cell and 4.0v and up will damage them.

That’s what I was thinking I was finding.

Ok…so does anyone know of a good single cell barrel battery lifepoe4 battery charger? I haven’t had much success in my hunt for one.

I like the Nitecore D4 for a good “all-purpose” charger.

Copy/Paste:

Compatible with IMR / Li-ion / LiFePO4:
26650, 22650, 18650, 18490, 18350, 17670,
17500, 16340(RCR123), 14500, 10440

Compatible with Ni-MH / Ni-Cd:
AA, AAA, AAAA, C

1 Like

Thanks Rftop. I ordered that charger, that looks like exactly what I was looking for. I’ll report back on how it works. Appreciate it.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.