Is it easy to get FCC certification for a device using the Spark Core?

Hey guys! I had just made a note in my to-do list to build out this section in the Guide before seeing Zach’s post. I’ll put more language together by the end of this week.

As far as your question about 12V sensor devices, the safe answer is that you probably need some sort of recertification, but that the process should be straightforward due to the certifications that Particle has already achieved.

The introduction of additional electrical devices means that you will probably have to take your product through FCC sub part 15b, which is the declaration of unintentional radiators. The FCC allows for self-declaration for unintentional radiators, so it is relatively painless.

The place where you can leverage Particle’s certification is with FCC sub part 15c which governs certifications of intentional radiators. You’ll be able to reuse our FCC Certification ID and number and expedite the approval process as compliance testing instead of a from-scratch certification.

Our FCC ID for the Photon is “2AEMI-PHOTON” and the model number is “PHOTONH”. I’ll add the testing documents to the Guide along with other information around certification compliance.

3 Likes