Including a non-Particle library into a project in the Particle workbench

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fe21f934280>


@ScruffR Sorry, by that I meant it’s in the lib folder that’s part of the same project folder.

Link to folder


Apart from a warning, complies on my system - had to remove two files named .DS_Store in the folder you linked. Seems like you have a Work bench configratiom or installation issue ?


@shanevanj Thanks for trying it on your system. I tried switching to localDeviceOS compile instead of cloud and I am getting a lot of errors similar to this:

./../../build/target/user/platform-13-m/Test//libuser.a(Adafruit_GFX.o): In function `Adafruit_GFX::drawLine(short, short, short, short, unsigned short)':
/Users//ParticleProjects/BME280andOLED/Test/lib/Adafruit_SSD1306/src/Adafruit_GFX.cpp:420: multiple definition of `Adafruit_GFX::setTextWrap(bool)'
../../../build/target/user/platform-13-m/Test//libuser.a(Adafruit_GFX.o):/Users//ParticleProjects/BME280andOLED/Test/lib/Adafruit_SSD1306/src/Adafruit_GFX.cpp:420: first defined here

It looks like there’s an issue with the GFX library having things defined multiple times? But how is that possible if I only have one instance of the library?


Or there beeing multiple versions of the same library in your project.

@shanevanj, not sure how you were able to build that project.
There clearly is an #include <Adafruit_BME280.h> in Test.ino but that library is not present in the project nor is there a dependency reference in

However, when I run
image for Adafruit_BME280 the project builds in the cloud and locally.

Just to get rid of the ARDUINO not defined message adding #include <Arduino.h> won’t harm.


@ScruffR My current errors still look similar to the one I posted above. They also exist for the SSD_1306 library. Here’s a view of my current library directory:

I figured the ARDUINO not defined message would be fixed that way and did that. So the only issue left would be the multiple definitions.


Having a copy of your project that actually contains all the files that may contribute to the issue would be helpful.
A stripped down version like the one you posted above won’t help in that regard as it may exactly not contain the offending files.


My bad, here’s the full project file structure:

There’s a file not shown in the picture, but it is just the


Very strange that it complied!

Added Adafruit_BME280 and compiled no errors (other than the warning for pgm_read_byte)