How to start ? my first time to use the kit and Wifi modules

Ok I’ve my last hope here, what about Wi-Fi direct? I think it enables devices to communicate with each other without the need of any AP ? is it supported by Photons ?

WiFi direct is on the wish list for a long time, but it’s not there (yet)

2 Likes

thank you very much Scruff for this! really appreciating. can i ask you some questions in regards to this in case i would have some? thanks again!

That's what the community/forum is for :wink:

2 Likes

An idea popped out to me now, what if I integrated 2 Photon modules in each node, one acts as AP and the other acts as station, and between them there is a serial communication channel. is it possible to build mesh tree network this way? and how difficult the algorithm is gonna be? I mean very very complex?

I think you’re making this way more complicated than it needs to be. There are existing Mesh-capable radios out there you can interface with using a Photon. What’s the point then to add an extra Photon? The current generation hardware is not really designed for a Mesh topography, and as such won’t be ideal, contrary to the next gen, which is aimed at Mesh.
If you want to add the Mesh setup to the current gen hardware, “you’re gonna have a bad time”, whereas sticking an extra radio to it is much easier.

1 Like

1- this next generation which is aimed to support mesh is released?
2- I can use radio with photon but I need high security for my data

What is your time frame for a PoC or MVP?

The Particle Gen3 devices should be shipping mid this year (if you had ordered devices from the first batch).
They will be MVP state (particularly supporting legacy features plus fundamental mesh features including security) but development will quickly accelerate once they are out in the wild.

1 Like

I’ve to deliver the project within 2 months. so what do you suggest? and can you revise my previous comment about integrating 2 modules in 1 node?
and I was wondering how many clients can an AP photon establish connection with?

I hope someone tells me if I can connect many stations to a module in the softAP mode

I’d say SoftAP is not the way to go for you.
Also when you say many, then I’d say the Photon won’t comfortably support more than four/five concurrent clients.
After all, SoftAP was primarily meant for setup purposes and not as a default mode to run the device in. There were plans to have a dedicated mode to do such stuff, but it never has come to life (yet).

So with a tight schedule like yours, I’m afraid you may need to look at some other solution. You are just a few months too early :wink:

2 Likes