How does online compile work with C++?

I’m getting started in this Particle world and I like the small WiFi package, but I hate the Arduino legacy…

Can someone show me how to use the online compiler with C++?

• Do I have to have a *.ino file for my main?
  • Where do I find libraries compatible with the toolchain?
    • For example: How do I use a std::list?
  • Is there such a thing as a Makefile for cloud compiling?
    • If not, how do I tell which file is used as the “main”?
  • Can I compile my C++ libraries into binary and then include them in my *.ino?

@fossum_13, welcome! Compiling using the IDE, CLI or DEV is a great way to produce your code. For absolute control over your environment, you may want to consider a local toolchain.

Do I have to have a *.ino file for my main?<

In the cloud, the .ino file is treated much like Arduino does with pre-compilation to handle things like function prototypes. Your IDE "app" has a .ino extension by default.

Where do I find libraries compatible with the toolchain?
For example: How do I use a std::list?

I suggest you read the documentation to give you some guidance. Many libraries are built-in to the firmware while many others are available in the IDE. You can add your own as well.

Is there such a thing as a Makefile for cloud compiling?

The IDE, CLI and DEV do not support a user make file. For that, you need to compile locally with a toolchain.

If not, how do I tell which file is used as the "main"?

Much like Arduino, the "main" program is defined as the one containing void setup() {}; and void loop() {}; functions.

Can I compile my C++ libraries into binary and then include them in my *.ino?

No, the IDE, CLI and DEV don't support this. Again, you may want to consider a local toolchain.

:smile:

Thanks for the reply @peekay123 I still have some questions though.

I suggest you read the documentation to give you some guidance. Many libraries are built-in to the firmware while many others are available in the IDE. You can add your own as well.

Let's say I'm trying to add a Serial connection to my C++ header/source. So, I go over to https://docs.particle.io/reference/firmware/photon/#serial and attempt to locate the #include file. Problem is, Particle does not list such a thing, because in Arduino land, no includes are necessary.

Much like Arduino, the "main" program is defined as the one containing void setup() {}; and void loop() {}; functions.

Problem is, (although artificially contrived) you can have two files with setup() and loop(). How do I tell which is running? I know it should be easy to tell, but it's just an example of the issue.

Can I compile my C++ libraries into binary and then include them in my *.ino?

I did just learn that I can use an int main() in a file to act as a starting point, but I might run into the same dual main() issue stated above.

I want to do the local toolchain route, but I had a bunch of trouble with it and wanted to get started developing. Maybe I'll try it again in a few weeks.

@fossum_13, you can find all the built-in libraries and functions documented here:

https://docs.particle.io/reference/firmware/photon/

The only include you need for those is #include application.h which is included automatically for .ino files.

The only comment regarding two copies of setup() and loop() would be that you only have one!

The standard C main() function is built into the system firmware and I suggest you not try and create another.

It is important to note that Particle provides a “platform” which elevates the code above the type bare metal C code. You will be well served to read the reference docs first.

As for the local toolchain, share your challenges with the Community and we’ll see if we can help! :wink: