How can we select different serial configuration other than default, such as "8E1", is it supported?

Hi,
I just started using this platform, so far so good, however I just hit a wall on my project.
I cant figure out how to change the parity when configuring the SERIAL1 port.

I am using a Particle cellular electron, I had read a few blogs and all of them kind of disappointed me. does anyone knows if this had been already solved?

Thanks for your help,
Butilbenceno

That feature was just added in system version 0.6.0-rc1, which is in pre-release However, if you are using Particle Build (Web IDE) you can just select the device, the “>” icon and select Build with Firmware version 0.6.0-rc1. With that set, I was able to compile this program:

void setup() {
    Serial1.begin(9600, SERIAL_8E1);
}

void loop() {
}
1 Like

Considering this is the electron, and folks might not want to blow through their data limit upgrading pre-release system firmware, perhaps it’s a good idea to first upgrade that over a cable?
Should all be explained here: Particle Firmware Updates Thread

2 Likes

Actually I think 8E1 is already available for a while, but 0.6.0-rc.1 has some additional 7bit protocols and fixed a 9bit bug.

Thanks to all, it is actually supported on 0.6.0-rc.1, it took me a while figuring out how to upgrade the system firmware.

Thanks,

ScruffR was right, SERIAL_8E1 was added in 0.5.0, not 0.6.0. I was thinking about SERIAL_7E1, which was added in 0.6.0. But since your Electron probably had 0.4.8 on it, it did not have support for either. In any case, a lot of good work was done on serial in 0.6.0 so that’s a good version to target for serial-based code since you had to upgrade anyway.

Just be aware that 0.6.0-rc.1 is a release candidate and not an official release, so using it on a remote device might require you to visit the device once the official release is out to update.