How can I output more voltage while using PWM

I am currently working on a project to light LEDS using PWM. I got the code to work but the LEDs are too dim. Its outputting 3.3V but when I connect my leds the Voltage drops to 2.6V. I want to at least output 3 to 3.5V. Is there a way to do that while using PWM?

How many LEDs are you powering, and how are you powering the device? The pins on the particle devices are limited in the amount of current you can pull, it sounds like you’re overloading it, or you may need a larger power supply for it.

2 Likes

Im powering SMD filaments they draw .08amp. I’m planning on powering 7 smd filaments, but the voltage drops when I try to power 1 filament. How do we draw more voltage from pin a0 and a5?

Hmmm let’s see if someone with a little more knowledge on this can help. @rickkas7 @ScruffR @Moors7

1 Like

Thank you.

If you take a look at the docs for the Argon, you’ll notice it isn’t capable of delivering that much current, 80mA, from a GPIO pin. Especially if you’re planning on lighting up multiples, I’d suggest you look into other ways of powering them. Transistors or mosfets are usually the way to go, as you can have the higher voltage/current rating, and control them using the GPIO.

3 Likes

This is a common issue and one you will find answers to in other posts. What is required is to use the argon pin output (PWM or simple LOW-HIGH digital) to drive another component that can switch the voltage and handle the current required to drive your LEDS. If you have got many LEDs to be powered then I suggest you use quad buffer like a 74HCT125 for simplicity. If you do a search for this IC and look at the datasheet then you will see how to hook it up. I have used this IC to control and power 4 strips of LEDs that operate on 5V and require 5V level data logic.