Help with Example iOS App (particle-sdk-ios) - SOLVED

Ok, so I am a complete noob and plunging into the world of iOS development and Swift after reading a couple of tutorials.

I’ve been trying for about 2 days to get the example iOS app (https://github.com/particle-iot/particle-sdk-ios/tree/master) working but to no avail.

I’ve used the recommended Carthage installation (https://github.com/particle-iot/particle-sdk-ios/tree/master#installation) and followed step-by-step. There is at least one error in that the Cartfile needs to have “particle-iot/particle-sdk-ios” not just “particle/particle-sdk-ios”.

Anyway, I get as far as a build in Xcode and then get two errors.

ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/Users/stephen/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Particle-SDK-ewzqtvaoqgzbxughnroimhazeihk/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/AFNetworking'
ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/Users/stephen/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Particle-SDK-ewzqtvaoqgzbxughnroimhazeihk/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/Particle-SDK'
ld: library not found for -lAFNetworking
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

and

error: cannot parse the debug map for "/Users/stephen/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Particle-SDK-ewzqtvaoqgzbxughnroimhazeihk/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/Particle-SDK.app/Particle-SDK": No such file or directory

Now I am sure this is obvious to someone…but alas not I! The files don’t exist but I have no idea how I am supposed to create them. Is there a step in the installation instructions missing?

Thanks!

Update: OK, so I am thinking that it may have something to do with Xcode Workspaces and Projects…but not certain. Watch this space…

CLOSED: OK, so yes - I am totally new at this. In case anyone finds this, the issue was with Xcode - more specifically, with my very limited knowledge of Xcode. You need to open the workspace (like the instructions say…doh) and change the scheme to Particle-SDK (via top menu - Product…Scheme…Particle-SDK). Sorted.

2 Likes

Thank you for putting your solution!