Hardware availability

I am new to Particle. I am trying to understand what capabilities what devices have for what cost. While looking at the Argon page, there was a disclaimer saying that Argon is going to be discontinued and to consider the Photon.
The only place I found anything about the Photon was in Docs where it said it was being discontinued and to use Phonton 2. I did find the Docs for Photon 2 but I cannot find anyting about price and avaiability.
At this point I have little comfort that any effort that I put into development of a device might be lost or unable to buy product to meet my customer's needs.
I need the ability to start an acquistition by interupt for a large array from a ADC using SPI. It looked like the Argon would be best with its two MCU's, I'm not sure if the Photon 2 could respone quick enough

The Photon 2 is the only viable Wi-Fi option. Price and availability will be announced in June 2023, and a limited number will be available in that month, with full availability a short period later.

How quick is quick? The P2/Photon 2 have a 200 MHz CPU and threads, so if you can wait up to 1 millisecond for the thread scheduler period you can do the SPI acquisition from a thread.

We don't recommend starting a SPI transaction from an ISR because you can't obtain the SPI transaction mutex from an ISR, because if another thread had already obtained the mutex the device would deadlock.

1 Like

@rickkas7
Thanks for the reply. From your explaination it sounds that starting an acquisition with a Photon or, I assume, any third generation device is undeterministic. 1ms could be over +/- 20deg of rotation in my application. That means that I can only use Particle devices for gateway applications not edge devices.
Also, being in documentation, maybe you can answer my other question. I spent close to two hours learning about development using platformio. But now I cannot find anything less than 3 or 4 years old.
It's very confusing to stumble upon examples or tutorials only to later find there is a better way or that something is no longer or never really has been supported. What's the story on VS and Platformio and all the streaming videos with Brandom Satrom. I am find there is a lot of what to do but not much on how to do it.
Again many thanks

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.