Good job on the new iOS app - fantastic!

Just wanted to say good job on the new iOS app. It’s fantastic. Being able to see variables and functions is extremely useful, but especially the stream of events on a mobile device!

Thanks!

4 Likes

I agree!

Particle is making consistent progress on it’s way to becoming one of the best IOT platforms out there.

Will the new features be making their way to Android soon also?

1 Like

Looks like it. In the mailer they sent out they mention android and even windows devices! :open_mouth:

http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u=617e2b359e085d4707b8c8bcd&id=f0c34258b3&e=b856f17712

1 Like

I really like the new app–lots of new features that make it far better than the previous version. However, I cannot see the entirety of string variables that have been published. I’d like to be able to see the entire string, no matter its length. I mistakenly replied to the email earlier today from Particle and referenced what I can see in Porter instead of the previous version of Particle. I like the Porter app, but would prefer to use the (free) Particle app for items like simply looking at published variables and calling published functions.

1 Like

yes, agree that the app is a huge upgrade! As @ctmorrison points out, we just need to be able to see the string variables...

RIP Porter, I guess

3 Likes

So…the new iOS app is showing my Electron as being offline. Odd…the command line and the Dashboard show the same thing. However, the device is posting data to the cloud service (Grovestreams) and Porter is showing the device as well as published variables and functions. Wazzup with that???

(update) I just looked at the Dashboard log and it shows data being pushed by the Electron. So…that’s even more confusing with regard to it listing the Electron as being offline.

The new app is great, and correctly shows the right device types (mix of photons and duos). It sports all of the functions needed for rapid view and usage of devices.
I really like the way to quickly identify a connected device shouting rainbows for 10 secs :smile:

That’s a common thing and often explaind as being rooted in the UDP transport of Electrons. Usually it’s the other way round (reported online, but actually offline).
BTW, posting to anything other than the Particle cloud is not an indication of being connected to the cloud (Cellular.ready vs. Particle.connected)

@ScruffR, perhaps I’m a bit dense, but I don’t understand your comment about posting to anything other than the Particle cloud. I’m posting to Grovestreams via a webhook. How does that factor into your response? Thanks!

Many thanks for the kind words! I am super stoked that the new 2.0 design and features echo well with the community.

I am open to any feedback which can be integrated to v2.1.
Tap to view full value of string variable is already underway.

Android app will follow suit eventually, but please don’t hold your breath. :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t use Grovestream, but is webhooking the only way to post there?
Since it wasn’t explicitly said, I just added that by the way since that would fit the invers symptoms of the otherwise common behaviour.

OK. Got it. You can post directly to Grovestreams, as I do with my Electric Imp devices via the agent code. However, I’ve found the Particle webhooks, now that they’re reliable, to be a convenient and simpler way of posting data. Thanks!

2 Likes

@ido thanks for all of your hard work on the update!

1 Like

Tap a long truncated string variable and get:

This is going to be in v2.1 release. Need it right now?? No problem, send me your Apple ID email and I can add you to the Testflight beta program (install the Testflight app) and you’ll be able to enjoy this feature (as well as beta-test v2.1) right now! :smile:

4 Likes

Bonus! Well that’s just Particular-ly awesome…

2 Likes

That’s awesome. Talking about support! :smile:

1 Like

Would it be possible to get rid of the 1st screen when you open the app (the “Getting Started”) – so it doesn’t pop up every time you open it, once you have logged in already?

3 Likes

Alternatively, use that as the loading screen until the devices have all been loaded :)?

1 Like

That’s supposed to happen only if you CLOSED the app but previously logged in, which shouldn’t happen often at all… Is that a nuisance?
If you switch back to the app you are supposed to go straight to your previously used screen… Am I wrong?

If you switch to it, it doesn’t happen – but the typical behavior is “open, use, flick up to close” (to cleanup/avoid a mess of open apps - not a concern resource wise, just visually/being able to find the stuff you use a lot). And so the end result is every time you open the app, it goes to a screen that has no purpose :slight_smile:

1 Like