Fail installing CLI with "npm install" command [SOLVED]

Hi all,

I tried to install the CLI using npm install -g particle-cli as explained on the official tutorial here, but then everything when crazy :dizzy_face: :

npm WARN deprecated minimatch@2.0.10: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
/usr/local/bin/particle -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/bin/particle.js

> serialport@3.1.2 install /usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport
> node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp ERR! Tried to download: https://github.com/voodootikigod/node-serialport/releases/download/3.1.2/serialport-v3.1.2-node-v51-darwin-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp ERR! Pre-built binaries not found for serialport@3.1.2 and node@7.3.0 (node-v51 ABI) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: Python executable "/Users/manitoba/miniconda3/bin/python" is v3.5.2, which is not supported by gyp.
gyp ERR! stack You can pass the --python switch to point to Python >= v2.5.0 & < 3.0.0.
gyp ERR! stack     at failPythonVersion (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/configure.js:454:14)
gyp ERR! stack     at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/configure.js:443:9
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:202:7)
gyp ERR! stack     at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7)
gyp ERR! stack     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:885:16)
gyp ERR! stack     at Socket.<anonymous> (internal/child_process.js:334:11)
gyp ERR! stack     at emitOne (events.js:96:13)
gyp ERR! stack     at Socket.emit (events.js:188:7)
gyp ERR! stack     at Pipe._handle.close [as _onclose] (net.js:501:12)
gyp ERR! System Darwin 16.3.0
gyp ERR! command "/usr/local/Cellar/node/7.3.0/bin/node" "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "configure" "--fallback-to-build" "--module=/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport/build/Release/serialport.node" "--module_name=serialport" "--module_path=/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport/build/Release"
gyp ERR! cwd /usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport
gyp ERR! node -v v7.3.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.4.0
gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute '/usr/local/Cellar/node/7.3.0/bin/node /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport/build/Release/serialport.node --module_name=serialport --module_path=/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport/build/Release' (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:885:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:226:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Darwin 16.3.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! command "/usr/local/Cellar/node/7.3.0/bin/node" "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build"
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v7.3.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.6.28
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute '/usr/local/Cellar/node/7.3.0/bin/node /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport/build/Release/serialport.node --module_name=serialport --module_path=/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/serialport/build/Release' (1)
/usr/local/lib
ā””ā”€ā”€ (empty)

npm ERR! Darwin 16.3.0
npm ERR! argv "/usr/local/Cellar/node/7.3.0/bin/node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "install" "-g" "particle-cli"
npm ERR! node v7.3.0
npm ERR! npm  v3.10.10
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

npm ERR! serialport@3.1.2 install: `node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the serialport@3.1.2 install script 'node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build'.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the serialport package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR!     node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
npm ERR!     npm bugs serialport
npm ERR! Or if that isn't available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR!     npm owner ls serialport
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR!     /Users/manitoba/npm-debug.log
npm ERR! code 1

Iā€™m using macOS 10.12.2, npm 3.10.10 & node 7.3.0, and zsh instead of bash, although I donā€™t think this could trigger any issue here.

• particle command
    As asked here, I checked but the particle command doesnā€™t work. So Iā€™m guessing nothing got actually installed, right?

• Python
    With the following lines

gyp ERR! stack Error: Python executable ā€œ/Users/manitoba/miniconda3/bin/pythonā€ is v3.5.2, which is not supported by gyp.
    gyp ERR! stack You can pass the --python switch to point to Python >= v2.5.0 & < 3.0.0.

Iā€™m guessing that thereā€™s something going on with Python, am I right?

• Serial port
    It looks like serial port v. 3.1.2 install failed maybe because of node.js and npm not being the latest versions installed. I upgraded both of them, yet still having the same issue.

• The Author
    You can see this suggestion toward the end of the log:

Tell the author that this fails on your system:
    npm ERR! node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

Well, no idea who ā€œthe authorā€ is, but if you happen to know him, tell him that Iā€™d pay him a :coffee: in exchange of some helpā€¦

The rest of the log is pretty much chinese and turkish insults mixed together for me. Iā€™d really appreciate any kind of input :disappointed_relieved:

It seems that your node & NPM versions are so new that there are no pre-compiled serial-port packages available yet. It then tries to compile that on its own, for which it uses gyp. Gyp apparently doesnā€™t like Python 3.x, which isnā€™t backwards compatible with 2.x.
Taking the above into consideration, could your try installing Python 2.x first? Then give the installation another shot.

1 Like

Thanks, this is what I was actually doing after I finally figured out some of the log details. Iā€™ll update the post with the results. Thanks again!

Hi all, well just to close this by saying that I managed to install the particle cli.
I didnā€™t uninstall Python 3. I used miniconda3 and the following command to install Python 2.7:

conda create -n py27 python=2.7 anaconda

Then, the source activate py27 command switched my entire system to Python 2.7.

Node.js was not supported either, so I installed n, a version management for Node.js, and activated a stable version of Node supported by the Particle CLI through the n 5.11.0 command.

Thanks for the input!

1 Like