Estabilishing device cloud connection in weak cell areas

I have been noticing recently that my Borons will not establish a cloud connection unless there are optimal conditions for connection. In the past, I was able to set them up inside no problem, but now I get nothing and need to move outside for that initial connection. Once established I can move into areas where the cell service is sub par, for example the basement of a house, and it will remain connected, but if for any reason the connection needs to be re-established, I need to move the device outside again.

I have had this happen with multiple different devices and several different locations.

I am using Automatic mode for connection and maybe this is the problem, but I haven’t had issues with it in the past.

At this point I don’t know what I don’t know about the issue, so if you need any more information to answer the question, please let me know.

Thank you!

Hi Erik-

Can you send me the device id for the Boron so I can take a look and see exactly how weak the signal is?

Thanks,
Colleen

Hi Colleen,

Yes, the device ID is: REDACTED

This device is in testing phase. It is used for monitoring various sensors in case of a power outage. I thought the battery would last long enough to make it through, but this was a long outage and the battery died before power was restored. Now that power is back on though, the device has not come back online. Unfortunately, this device is far from me at the moment, so I can’t take it to a place with better cell service nor reset it.

Thank you for your help!

Hi Eric-

Thanks for sharing the ID, I’ll look into what could be causing this and see if there are any remote solutions. This sounds extremely frustrating.

Thank you Colleen! It is, but also good to find in testing. If this was a production unit, I would be in trouble!

is there any update on this topic? I’m going through a similar issue, even when I have an external antenna on my Borons. the cellular signal shows 19 - 25 %, and even then, sometimes they will be practically unreachable.

thanks!

-R

1 Like