Electron variable power consumption

Hi all,

I have been playing around with a couple of electron devices over the last week or two and I have noticed some variable power draws that I can’t really explain.

The image below shows the battery level over time for a simple system that’s permanently on and reporting a reading every 10 minutes. But I have also observed the same behaviour on a system that was sleeping between check ins.

Usually during the day vs overnight the battery drains a bit faster suggesting a higher power draw.

The electron is connected to nothing and there are no other variables in play.

The only reason I can think of is increased mobile traffic during the day resulting in the electron working harder to get a signal or fight through the interference.

Does anyone have any other ideas or know whats going on?

Thanks

AFAIK that’s due to the way how the discharge curve of the LiPo works when calculating the SoC from VCell.

2 Likes

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that.
I am going to try and repeat the test but starting at a different time of the day, that way I can see if the change in the curve is happening at 70% charge or at 9am.

Could be. Carriers also use beam steering techniques to guide the strongest signal to where the largest concentration of user is. Most people go to work during the day and so the concentration moves from homes at night to business districts during the day.

1 Like

It looks like its the battery discharge curve! A second test shows the same rapid discharge starting at 70% but aligning with 10pm.

3 Likes