Christmas Tree Shield on mesh platform

My daughter pulled out the Christmas tree shield I got for her last year, she loves this thing. I don’t have any Photons here at home so I thought I would just check to see what it would take to get it onto an Argon. While all the pins used by the tree seem to be the same, I get these errors when compiling, and if I try to flash anyway, its unsuccessful. Should I just wait to get a Photon or is this simple enough to fix? For what its worth, I did look for the errors in the lines of code given, and couldn’t find them, they don’t correspond to any of the files for the provided lib.

lib/dotstar/dotstar.cpp:47:4: #error "*** PLATFORM_ID not supported by this library. PLATFORM should be Core, Photon, P1, Electron or RedBear Duo ***"
error
lib/dotstar/dotstar.cpp:50:48: 'pinHI' was not declared in this scope
error
lib/dotstar/dotstar.cpp:50:62: 'pinLO' was not declared in this scope
error
lib/dotstar/dotstar.cpp:50:48: 'pinHI' was not declared in this scope
error
lib/dotstar/dotstar.cpp:50:62: 'pinLO' was not declared in this scope
2 Likes

I took a quick look at the dotstar library on this github repository:

Lines 38 to 48 set up the pin map based on the PLATFORM_ID.
Unfortunately, it is missing an #elif for the particle mesh PLATFORM_IDs.
So, some additional code needs to be added for the mesh devices.

Also, there might be issues with how the SPI clock is done on the new Nordic chips.

In summary, the dotstar library needs to be updated for the Mesh devices.

2 Likes

Does anyone out there know the platform id’s for the new mesh devices?

@Mohoganogan a super quick forum search would have given you:

1 Like

In addition to that, you can also request the Platform ID from the device (e.g. via particle identify or particle serial inspect)

Wow glad your super detective skills were better than mine. My attempt to search for those failed miserably. Thanks again.