Change 3rd party APN credentials on a Boron

I need to change the 3rd party APN credentials on a couple of Borons that have been shipped to another country. I already have the devices claimed to my account prior to shipping.
The user wants to use a different service provider.
What is the best way to go about this?
Would it be possible to connect the Borons(in DFU mode) to a remote pc and I upload the firmware to alter the credentials through particle cli?
Just a thought.
Otherwise the Borons would need to be shipped back, which is something I prefer to avoid.

This should help you out - https://support.particle.io/hc/en-us/articles/360039741113-3rd-party-SIM-cards
Instructions on how to set it is included.

Thank you @no1089.

I have already set the Birons to use Surfroam 3rd party sim prior to shipping.
The user needs to use a different provider and different APN settings.
This obviously requires to be setup via particle cli again.
I was asking if there is a way to use particle cli from a remote pc, is this even possible?
Have the user connect the Boron via USB and enter dfu mode, then hoping to remotely access his pc so I can run particle cli setup from my side.

You could load an app with the new APN:

#include "Particle.h"

#include "dct.h"

SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC);

void setup() {
	Cellular.setActiveSim(EXTERNAL_SIM);
	Cellular.setCredentials("epc.tmobile.com");

// This clears the setup done flag on brand new devices so it won't stay in listening mode
	const uint8_t val = 0x01;
    dct_write_app_data(&val, DCT_SETUP_DONE_OFFSET, 1);

// This is just so you know the operation is complete
	pinMode(D7, OUTPUT);
	digitalWrite(D7, HIGH);
}

void loop() {
}

:point_up: That should do it :slight_smile: If you still have connectivity, you can add it to an OTA, but be careful that you don’t make a mistake and have the device fall offline.

The end-user can also flash a new binary via the CLI using particle flash --usb newAPN.bin for example.

Teamviewer and the CLI installed on the remote PC should work too :smiley:

So I can flash the above code(with correct APN credentials), insert new sim card, then it will connect to the cloud to flash new code?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.