Argon sleep current, once again

@marekparticle
BTW, if this is not duplicatable, I’m happy to ship a couple of Argons exhibiting this behavior if it helps.

I figured out the difference. I was originally powering by Li+, which is how the current measurements were done for the datasheet.

I tried powering by VUSB, as I finally noticed that’s how you were powering it, and I also get 932 µA. This is not entirely unexpected because when powering by VUSB, the main voltage regulator needs to be powered. When running at 3.6V, it can be bypassed.

2 Likes

Wow, that is a huge find. Thank you @rickkas7. I’ll test out this morning in the lab and feel confident that I will reproduce your results. Now to work on our device design to use the 3.7V input rather than the 5 VUSB. :slight_smile:

@iitgrad, would your project allow you to include the Li-Po in the design?
If so, that’s possibly the only change you’d need to make.

1 Like

Hi @Rftop. Yes, its actually going to have to. We have to run buried in the ground for 4 years on battery power so will make this work. Meeting with the team today on this. And just confirmed the sleep current in the lab this morning. It is a beautiful thing. Thank you @rickkas7 for all your help!

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what battery are you planning on using? If you can't say (in the open), I understand.
Thanks!

We are using 3 AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium in series and then this 3 pack x 3 in parallel which gives us about 9000 mAH of capacity. Our device sleeps for 30 minutes, then wakes for less than a minute to do measurements and transmit the data via a separate LoRa module. We have been very happy with these batteries.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.