ANNOUNCEMENT: Mobile SDKs beta release

Not sure from your post if you are asking about features in the Mobile SDK, that you would use from Swift or ObjC. But, if you are, then…

Currently you can both create a username and password, then log in, or use an existing username and password, then log in. The SDK has both of those functions in it.

Not sure what you mean by setup picture in the workflow.

Not sure what you mean by the ability to modify the text for each instruction step. Its an SDK.

If you are not talking about the Mobile SDK that would be used from a programming language, then this may not be the right forum category for your quesitons.

Your first answer makes a lot of sense (especially now that I’ve looked at the code a little deeper). Thanks!

As for my first two questions (and your second two answers), I was specifically referencing the APIs for the device setup library (https://github.com/spark/spark-setup-ios) on iOS.

It provides the full UI and workflow to setup a Photon using a SoftAP and allows for quite a bit of customization, but it doesn’t allow the specific things I’m looking for: Changing the text for the instruction steps and Altering the device images.

OK, so you’re looking at a fully built IOS app that you want to modify. In that case, I’m sure that changing the text shown to users can be done easily. You are familiar with IOS screen layout and that many of the labels etc. text are not set in code, but in attributes?

As for the device picture in the workflow (just guessing here, not having looked at the IOS setup app), you’ve probably already created your own icons and start screen images. The icons imagecassett is very sensitive to pixel size, but none of the other images used by the app are. Those can be resized and scaled in the attributes for the image container.

Hope that helps.

Hi TheAmos!

Here’re my answers:

1. That’s correct we removed the device picture from the wizard screens in order to accommodate new UI elements that explains the process to the user a bit better. You can, however, create your own video (with your product) shown when the user presses the “show me how” button in the beginning of the process. Also see next answer for full customization.

2. That’s correct - no ability to set every single label in the setup wizard, however, since it is implemented as a Cocoapod open-source library, just integrate it to your project, go to the setup.storyboard file (under pods/spark-setup-ios) and modify any label you want to. Very easy.
    I’d love to get feedback on what other customization points you might need for the setup. That’ll be helpful.

3. We are currently working on enabling organizations to create their own logins to their domains + get OAuth access tokens via server-to-server comm so that user does not need to login to their Particle account, only to the org account for accessing their devices. We plan to post a guide on creating a web app demoing this ability in the next 2 weeks. Meanawhile you can locally do login/signup via the cloud SDK and save the user credentials / bind it to your org account credentials.

I hope that answers your questions, let me know if you have more

1 Like

@ido Thanks! Your answers are quite helpful - I wasn’t aware I could modify the storyboards after adding the pod to my project.

One note for you guys is that there are a couple assumptions in the setup process process that might be different depending on the end product we’re shipping. For instance, our product is battery powered and thus never needs to be plugged in. It would be great if the SoftAP “get ready” screen allowed us to specify that step (accomplished by tweaking the storyboard text) and allowed for us to place our own image at the top instead of the “plug in the photon” image.

As a whole, the device setup library is awesome and allowed us to get and running very quickly!

1 Like

Thank you!
I’d very much appreciate feedback on which new customization points to the setup process would be helpful to the app devs/users.
Right now I have listed:

• Device renaming at end of process - disable by customization point - set device_name as user login/seq number (?)
  • Alertview popup - device is claimed by someone else - allow user to disable that
  • Add customization point for ‘connect-to-power’ device image
  • Setup step texts (?)

@ido That’s a great list!

As far as I can tell, having those customization points would allow us to develop an app extremely quickly without any digging around to modify the device setup library code or storyboards! We will, however, need all 4 of those configuration to ensure our app conforms to the use-case and experience we are planning.

@ido One question: Do you have a timeline or plan for when you will be able to add these features?

Possibly in our next sprint which starts next Thursday. Currently working on some exciting new features for the Cloud SDK and Android catch-ups. Announcements soon.

Fantastic! Thanks, @ido

Unless I missed something, the Android device lib has not been published? Also are there plans to publish a photon android tinker application?

Thanks …

@ido One more tweak I had to make to get our app our the door in a usable state was to modify the brand image/logo that gets displayed in the navbar at the top. If the image file has a logo that leaves little or no border at the top, the logo overlaps with the time of day in the status bar and looks terrible.

Just passing along my real-world use-cases so you can build them into the product! This setup library still helped us develop something very quickly despite the tweaks we’ve had to make.

Thanks for the feedback!
Actually that’s normal iOS7/8 behaviour - you ARE allowed to have navbar images that cover status bar, you should design the PNG file accordingly with alpha transparency where you don’t want nothing displayed.