I have been thinking about this for a while and I can’t believe I am the only one. So, I thought perhaps I could start a new thread where the last one left off (closed after 180 days - sigh) and see what people are using or could recommend.
I would be interested in hearing more from @ctmorrison on his experiences and perhaps we can carry on the conversation here.
I think a reasonable place to start would be to talk about what a mobile app should be able to do. As I am new to this, please feel free to suggest more requirements if I am missing something:
Single Sentence - A cross-platform mobile app that I could give to members of my product “team” that would allow them to have access to the functionality of the Particle Mobile App or Particle Console but with a better UI.
- Identity - I am thinking this is someone’s Particle ID and what they could do would be based on their role in the Particle product team. I am thinking that this uses Particle’s Team Access Controls.
Team Access Controls | Tutorials | Particle
- Scope - The number of devices this person could see / interact with would be tied to the product. They would see a device list as they might if they were logged into the Particle console
- Functionality - The user could interact with a device and get information equivalent to the Particle console with, perhaps, a more intuitive interface. This would include Particle Functions and Variables as well as device health
- Provisioning? - I am less sure on this one as I think it becomes much harder to manage scope / roles here but perhaps this is possible too - again based on product roles.
- Cost - I don’t know how much these applications will be used and I don’t want to sign on to some huge up-front development contract or high monthly bill until I get a sense. Is $50 / month unreasonable?
Again, if I can thinking too big / small here. Please let me know.
Here is the post that got me started
I have done some looking into different options but am hoping there are more:
Flutter - https://flutter.dev - Cross-Platform development from Google. Broad support but no quick start for Particle. Also, seems to have a steep learning curve compared to the other options here.
Branded App by Wix - https://www.wix.com/app-builder - No code development but no Particle integration in their App Store. Low price (at least for now) and ability to publish to mobile app stores.
.bubble - https://bubble.io/ - Another no / low code option but also lacking a Particle integration. Also pricing get to $500/ month pretty quickly.
Thunkable - https://thunkable.com/ - This is the one the @ctmorrison was talking about and it looks fairly slick. I don’t see a native Particle integration and it also seems like it could get expensive quickly if you go professional.
Particle Mobile Tools / APIs - iOS SDK | Reference | Particle - This list would not be complete without mentioning these. Has anyone figured out an easy was to adapt the Particle Mobile App to meet their needs. It seems limited to showing devices only to the “owner” and not members of the product team using team access controls.
One idea started to form in my head. If we, as a community started to develop a preference for one of these approaches, perhaps we could get a Particle integration developed for that platform. This could make it easier to get started. Just a thought.
Please let me know what your thoughts are on mobile application development and perhaps we can share our example apps here too.