ANNOUNCEMENT: Introducing the Electron

It’s on the page:

2 Likes

What are the options for antenna’s on the electron? is there a built in antenna and the uFL like the elecron? or is it uFL only?

Good question @Hootie81 Unlike the Photon that has a Chip Antenna and u.FL connector on board with an rf-switch to select between the two, the Electron just has a u.FL connector. This is likely going to be the best option for the strongest cellular signal, and you’ll have plenty of options for different antenna sizes and styles.

3 Likes

Will the data plan allow you to set caps on the data you use in a month? For example, can I say “after 10 megs, please cut me off”?

A bug in your software could quickly cost you a lot of money in data charges. Without either a) the ability to set a cap, or b) better tiered pricing, it’s a bit of a no-go for me.

1 Like

Yes, we'll provide the ability to send data caps, and also we'll give a lot of visibility into your data consumption .

Sadly I am very confused on what the Electron can do. :cry:

Can I use the Electron as a data plan?

For example, if I was at a bookstore, and want to call my parents to pick me up, can I make a phone call with the Electron without the use of Wi-fi?

If so, Do I have to carry it everywhere with my phone to make phone calls? :blush:
@Moors7
@harrisonhjones
@zach

@BRT,

1.) No, you cannot use it as a data plan. You need a data plan to use the Electron

2.) Phone and messaging feature is not implemented on the Electron (but the functionality exists)

3.) Think of the core using cellular network to connect to the :cloud: instead of Wifi

So if I have a Sprint carrier data plan for $60 a month, what are the possible functionality of the Electron?

Also where is the $2.99 going towards if I already have a data plan?

$2.99 is for a data plan to be used on the Electron.

If you want to use your Sprint carrier plan, you need to place that sim card on to the Electron itself and i don’t think that’s what you want to do.

Also, you can choose to terminate the $2.99 data plan but you end up with an Electron that acts like a arduino programmable only via USB.

You might want to read the announcement/kickstarter page to understand further :wink:

@kennethlimcp is correct.

However you could easily send text messages using the Electron. You couldn’t send it directly but you could easily send it using a webhook or by doing your own GET request to something like twillo or tropo. Honestly, I’d be very surprised if there wasn’t a webhook example or library for sending system on the webIDE by the time the electron shipped.

1 Like

A Kickstarter marriage perhaps? PC Mag covers Pebble news with photo of Pebble and Electron:

4 Likes

Will you be offering pooled data plans?

We're just keeping it simple - $2.99 per month, which includes 1MB, and $0.99 for every additional megabyte. We charge for each device separately

Have any more country’s been added to the list?

Electron is like Spark Core/Photon except it connects to Spark Cloud using cellular connection instead of WiFi, also it is possible to insert our own SIM cards. So it can be used anywhere on the world, then why the shipment is limited to a number of countries?

Sorry @Hootie81, not yet! Hoping we'll have an announcement soon...

@krvarma for now we only want to ship the Electron to customers when we can promise a great experience with it. We are currently working out a deal that will give us coverage in a lot more countries, and hope to have an announcement soon. Stay tuned!

4 Likes

Eagerly waiting for the new country list.

Great looking product - I can’t wait.
I have just responded to the latest reward offer and increased my pledge by $240 to add on a 3g solar kit. The kickstarter page is offering me just the solar kit for the extra pledge - without wanting to be mean :confused: , I rather expected the extra pledge to get me the original earlybird 2g electron as well as the 3g solar one. Will you wonderful people at Spark sort that out nearer the delivery date?
The Kickstarter email says "If you’ve already backed but want to add a Solar Kit to your pledge please add
$179 or $199 to your original pledge along with at least $10 shipping if you live outside the US."
I’ve added an extra $200 plus $40 shipping to my original $40 as this is what the Kickstarter page asks for shipping.

Hi Phec, sorry about any confusion - when we suggesting adding to the original pledge we meant that you should keep your original reward selected. We’ll get you sorted out after the campaign.

1 Like